Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well crud... rod knock??

well this morning when i went and started my car to go to work it sounded as if the lifters where tapping again.

then after a few minutes it went away. but when i jumped onto teh freeway like usual, taking the rpms up to about 5k each shift to get up to speed it sounds like metal to metal contact, like a rod knock.

but what is weird is that at idle sitting in neutral i will rev it up or slowy increace the rpms and hold it at the same rpms and i cant hear it knocking.

so im kinda thinkin its my tranny because it has also started to squeek when the clutch pedal is out all the way, and it slips bar doing into each gear when i get on it.

can someone help me track this down, i got a spare EA82 engine, but i dont know the condition, and i cant really take the time to put it in since it is my only car i am insured on.

also i was saving that ea82 for my brat i might get soon.

Thanks,

Shean

Don't save the EA82 for a Brat - you want an EA81 for a Brat. Simpler, and more reliable....

GD

i was thinking of doing so, but i dont have a spare EA81 around, so thats why i was going to go with the EA82, but also i have the weber so i was kinda thinking of EA81 weberized.

Did you check out the pump carefully before putting it back in? Often the EA82 pumps seem to need replacing, and even a reseal doesn't give them enough pressure.... not sure on this "spring" - never heard of that one before caboobaroo brought it up. I've only ever heard of dirty lifters or bad oil pressure causing the ticking.

GD