Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

windshield washer/squirter upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Getting really tired of the factory system when I'm wheeling.   I'm looking for something to put about 4x the amount of water on the window than what the current system is running.  Other than adding 3 more washer bottles (not sure if I have room under my hood for 3 more) has someone found a pump that is either a direct fit but higher volume or a system that takes minor modification?  I'd like to keep my bottle where but I need more flow!

#2 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,393 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

You could gang up a couple of pumps and that would give you more flow and pressure.Or do what I'm going to do, mount a bilge bump in a 2-3 gallon bucket and run that to a 3/8 PVC pipe across the windshield with lots of holes drilled in it to wash away the mud.

#3 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...h-/230821527143

now just if I can figure out a water storage place under the hood.  maybe where the air conditioning sits now (dont work anyways might as well rip it out)

80 psi @ 5 liters per minute, that should work

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

take the sprayers from a 01 -05 cars have a wide spray pattern and move way more fliud

#5 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,111 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

take the sprayers from a 01 -05 cars have a wide spray pattern and move way more fliud

Even some of the late model GC imps have that too.  Great upgrade.

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,101 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

And you can run them each from a seperate pump.  There are already 2 pumps in the washer sprayer of 95+ models.  Just grab one of those bottles and run them each to a sprayer.  Wire them toghether so they run toghether.

#7 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,291 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

gloyale is that only on 95+ impreza models?

#8 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

true, I never use the rear squirter, so I could just route that up to the drivers side.   I got a few 00-04's and 1 2005 at the shop I'll go see what I can scavenge

#9 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,393 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

My biggest problem with the stock setup is that when I don't use the washer the nozzles get plugged up and there is not much you can do to unplug them out on the trail.

Does the late model setup use the hood mounted sprayers?

#10 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

I don't think the bottleneck is the pump itself, but the nozzles.

I added a pair of '85-86 cowl-mounted sprayers to my '88, in addition to the stock hood-mounted ones, with just the single stock pump, and I would definitely say it double the volume of water hitting the windshield. I can't imagine that the EJ pumps are drastically less efficient.

I would start by adding more nozzles. Dorman makes some really nice, fan-pattern ones that don't clip in, but have a nut on the bottom. This makes them very easy to drill a hole anywhere and mount them (I tried them, since I had to relocate them onto the cowl on my 4runner. I now have them on all my cars...). We have them in stock at the AutoZone where I work. I would add at least one more pair, and then decide if you need to upgrade your pump.

#11 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,405 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

I ran extra tube up the wiper arms and mounted nozzles on the end of them. I added another stock EA81 pump and bottle, T'ed the fluid hoses under the cowl, and voile' .The end nozzles were simply GM style metal tube that is crimped to spread the pattern.

cheers

#12 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

I ran extra tube up the wiper arms and mounted nozzles on the end of them. I added another stock EA81 pump and bottle, T'ed the fluid hoses under the cowl, and voile' .The end nozzles were simply GM style metal tube that is crimped to spread the pattern.

cheers

Heck, that reminds me. I've seen rally cars where they just zip-tie or tape a hose onto the wiper arm. No nozzle or anything, just dump a crapload of fluid right onto the window....

#13 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

For street, I personally like the type of nozzle used on some of the Fords, ones that produce a fan spray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users