Ultimate Subaru Message Board

windshield washer/squirter upgrades?

torxxx

Getting really tired of the factory system when I'm wheeling.   I'm looking for something to put about 4x the amount of water on the window than what the current system is running.  Other than adding 3 more washer bottles (not sure if I have room under my hood for 3 more) has someone found a pump that is either a direct fit but higher volume or a system that takes minor modification?  I'd like to keep my bottle where but I need more flow!

You could gang up a couple of pumps and that would give you more flow and pressure.Or do what I'm going to do, mount a bilge bump in a 2-3 gallon bucket and run that to a 3/8 PVC pipe across the windshield with lots of holes drilled in it to wash away the mud.

take the sprayers from a 01 -05 cars have a wide spray pattern and move way more fliud

And you can run them each from a seperate pump.  There are already 2 pumps in the washer sprayer of 95+ models.  Just grab one of those bottles and run them each to a sprayer.  Wire them toghether so they run toghether.

My biggest problem with the stock setup is that when I don't use the washer the nozzles get plugged up and there is not much you can do to unplug them out on the trail.

Does the late model setup use the hood mounted sprayers?

I don't think the bottleneck is the pump itself, but the nozzles.

I added a pair of '85-86 cowl-mounted sprayers to my '88, in addition to the stock hood-mounted ones, with just the single stock pump, and I would definitely say it double the volume of water hitting the windshield. I can't imagine that the EJ pumps are drastically less efficient.

I would start by adding more nozzles. Dorman makes some really nice, fan-pattern ones that don't clip in, but have a nut on the bottom. This makes them very easy to drill a hole anywhere and mount them (I tried them, since I had to relocate them onto the cowl on my 4runner. I now have them on all my cars...). We have them in stock at the AutoZone where I work. I would add at least one more pair, and then decide if you need to upgrade your pump.

I ran extra tube up the wiper arms and mounted nozzles on the end of them. I added another stock EA81 pump and bottle, T'ed the fluid hoses under the cowl, and voile' .The end nozzles were simply GM style metal tube that is crimped to spread the pattern.

cheers

I ran extra tube up the wiper arms and mounted nozzles on the end of them. I added another stock EA81 pump and bottle, T'ed the fluid hoses under the cowl, and voile' .The end nozzles were simply GM style metal tube that is crimped to spread the pattern.

cheers

Heck, that reminds me. I've seen rally cars where they just zip-tie or tape a hose onto the wiper arm. No nozzle or anything, just dump a crapload of fluid right onto the window....