Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trying to troubleshoot am ea82t stalling and running sickly any thoughts?

Ok I have an 89 gl10 turbo sedan, just got a "new to the car" (used) motor put in it about 2 months ago, didnt give me any problems really for the last few months in the last week I have noticed a severe power decrease, not only that but it starts up fine the first time, then as I drive more if I let off the gas and it goes down to idle it dies, after it dies if I crank it, she sorta sputters and coughs a bit then fires up ok, if it DOES stay at idle, instead of just dying, it runs really really rough.

now the car did sit for a year or so before the new motor got put in, as soon as the new motor went in it got a fresh tuneup and a nice full bottle of injector cleaner, but I am thinking the issue might be a couple things .. either:

a) sediment at the bottom of the gastank getting stirred up and clogging the injectors or reaking havoc on the fuel system

B) maybe the cat is clogged?

also the heater doesnt work and it kind of gets nasty mileage (about 210-240 a tank) I think I am gonna put a new thermostat in tommorrow and see if that helps anything, also I will try pulling the cat off and seeing if she drives any better, as far as cleaning the injectors, I havent really looked, are they hard to get to?

any ideas from the experts? Anything is apreciated!

-JEremy

scearch ea82t problems/hesitation... these motors demand proper maint. AND COOLING so could be lots of stuff, check your error codes first. Connections and grounds are mandatory to check especially for a new motor, grounds on tranny, battery, harness, motor fans... also poss. hotwire fuel pump, clean TPS, check maf & O2 sensor, new fuel filter, new pcv, check all vacume lines(turbo's will run w/o any vac) make sure alternator is good(take to a parts store and test; it can make things funky) so many other things could be at issue, I'm scaring myself here, but these are not too difficult, I'm on my fifth motor and fifth trans in my 4th ea82T in 18 months, but only b/c I wreck and thrash cars with old used parts lt can be done

CAT: if you run the car, does the cat get really hot, and motor choke out

Does heater make coolant smell in cab?

I pull that mileage when I shift at 6000rpm w/ upped fuel and boost(300 miles per tank yesterday)

exhaustive list, this is not, but if your car doesn't run after all these issues are addressed then WTF?

this is what i did to my turbo a/t gl-10 full time 4wd wagon w/ 85,000 , ngk plugs gaped at .45 , 8 mm wires, acell coil, cut out bottom air box, k-n filter , cut out big cat , no center cat ran 2in pipe all the way back , turbo muffler , i get 22-23 mpg in the city , temp runs 1 bar less than before , but i have a 2 row radiator also

All good advice above. However, I would start with a few things I have found to be more commonly troublesome. (After a good tune up of course)

I have had similar problems to those you describe on a few different occasions. Troublesome parts were(at different times) Coolant Temp Sensor, Ignition Module, and MAF.. So get a service manual and bust out that test light!

Also, Check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold. And check your coil when cold and when hot.