Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I tell if my Subaru is a DL, GL or GL-10?

I've had my Vortex for over 6 months now, and I still have no indication toward which it is. It didn't have any of the decals on it whatsoever when I boughti it and the owner's manual doesn't clear anything up either, as I've discovered earlier today.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

What year is it? I'm assuming it's an EA82 body, since I don't think the GL-10 was available until the release of the EA82. The DL is the base model, and the GL-10 is the most luxurious model. The GL is in between.

The DL will have things like (but not necessarily all) manual windows, manual mirrors, missing tachometer, no power steering (depending on the year), no A/C, FWD only, N/A engine, etc.

The GL-10 will have all the options. Power windows, power mirrors, intermittent wipers, all the gauges, power steering, A/C, sunroof, rear speakers, better radio, 5-speed D/R or 4EAT full-time 4WD tranny, turbo engine, rear dome light (in the back of the wagon), rear disk brakes, trip computer, digital instrument cluster, etc.

The GL will be in between. It'll have some options, but not all. EA82 GLs never came with the trip computer, rear dome light, rear speakers, or digital instrument cluster. Those are GL-10 only features. GLs sometimes had turbo engines, but not all.

Of course, there are exceptions. My old '81 GL only had intermittent wipers (which didn't work). Everything else was manual. My current '90 Loyale is just like a DL, because it has no options. However, most Loyales (were made from '90 to '94) had power mirrors, windows, etc.

So just gauge it off of how many options you have. Every GL-10 I've seen have had GL-10 decals/badges on the car. DLs only have Subaru decals/badges, and GLs usually have GL decals/badges. Different years came with different options, but what's listed above is generally the differences between 'em. 

The Xt, ala the vortex really didn't get many trim choices. If its n/a and doesn't have a back seat, manual windows and no passenger mirror, then it's a DL. If its n/a and has many option like power windows and a back seat, it's a GL. If its turbo, it's a GL-10.

Also for more XT specific info, join us www.subaruxt.com

Edited by kingbobdole

... I don't think the GL-10 was available until the release of the EA82. ... 

There are some EA81's (Second Gen Subaru Leone) with the GL10 badge still running here, in my country.

Also there are some in USMB, see: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/109236-1984-subaru-gl-10-in-great-condition/

dsc061301.jpg

dsc06131r.jpg

Kind Regards.

The Xt, ala the vortex really didn't get many trim choices. If its n/a and doesn't have a back seat, manual windows and no passenger mirror, then it's a DL. If its n/a and has many option like power windows and a back seat, it's a GL. If its turbo, it's a GL-10.

Also for more XT specific info, join us www.subaruxt.com

As far as I know, they all came with power windows/back seat and a passenger side mirror. But it isn't turbo so I guess I'm safe to assume it's a GL? Also were the turbo models the only ones with a trip computer/cruise control and all that?

There are some EA81's (Second Gen Subaru Leone) with the GL10 badge still running here, in my country.

Also there are some in USMB, see: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/109236-1984-subaru-gl-10-in-great-condition/

Damn, that's a clean car! Just a shame nobody seems to care much for the older Subaru's here in Australia.

As far as I know, they all came with power windows/back seat and a passenger side mirror.

Nope DLs had no p/s or passenger mirror. Also had a back seat delete and manual windows

Trust me, I had a 86 XT DL

• Like 1

The first new car I owned was also my first Subaru and how I came into family. It was an '83 GL-10 wagon. I had the car for about 12 years and it was the least expensive car to maintain I have ever owned. I replaced the brake pads, battery, water pump, and intake manifold gaskets in the time I owned it. All of the GL-10s I owned had the digital dash.

• Like 1

dsc061301.jpg

dsc06131r.jpg

Kind Regards.

Why do you torture me so!   Looks a lot like mine without the rust on the hood front fenders and trunk lid.

What year is it? I'm assuming it's an EA82 body, since I don't think the GL-10 was available until the release of the EA82. The DL is the base model, and the GL-10 is the most luxurious model. The GL is in between.

The DL will have things like (but not necessarily all) manual windows, manual mirrors, missing tachometer, no power steering (depending on the year), no A/C, FWD only, N/A engine, etc.

The GL-10 will have all the options. Power windows, power mirrors, intermittent wipers, all the gauges, power steering, A/C, sunroof, rear speakers, better radio, 5-speed D/R or 4EAT full-time 4WD tranny, turbo engine, rear dome light (in the back of the wagon), rear disk brakes, trip computer, digital instrument cluster, etc.

The GL will be in between. It'll have some options, but not all. EA82 GLs never came with the trip computer, rear dome light, rear speakers, or digital instrument cluster. Those are GL-10 only features. GLs sometimes had turbo engines, but not all.

Of course, there are exceptions. My old '81 GL only had intermittent wipers (which didn't work). Everything else was manual. My current '90 Loyale is just like a DL, because it has no options. However, most Loyales (were made from '90 to '94) had power mirrors, windows, etc.

So just gauge it off of how many options you have. Every GL-10 I've seen have had GL-10 decals/badges on the car. DLs only have Subaru decals/badges, and GLs usually have GL decals/badges. Different years came with different options, but what's listed above is generally the differences between 'em. 

my GL does have rear dome light, rear speakers, etc... 

the gl-10 that i saw have... automatic transmission, sunrrof, full time 4WD, digital dash, etc.... but the digital dash is the key i think... if it doesnt have, is a gl.... 

i saw DL with double headlights too... this is another clue....

• 4 weeks later...

Alright guys I have some sort of idea now.

According to the factory service manual, the DL has a simplified analog instrument cluster (no oil pressure or battery voltage gauges plus the demister lights are in a different spot), whereas the GL has said gauges.
Also the GL-10 models are turbo only, hence the digital cluster.

Ever GL I've ever had (4) had rear speakers and rear dome light. Hell, even my old Loyale had those features. No trip computers or digital clusters though. The only things the GL-10s came with that GLs didn't were trip computers, cruise, digi dashes, sunroofs and the nicer seats.