Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are my rear rotors cracked?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jseabolt

jseabolt

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Tri-Cities, TN.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

2003 Subaru Baja, 70K miles, pads worn halfway down.

So I am at the dump yesterday unloading some trash when the attendant points out I have a cracked rear rotor. HUH?

Sure enough there is what appears to be something on the rotors but I can't tell if they are actually cracked or it's some imperfection in the metal. If it is a crack then it's not all the way through the rotor but just on the surface. These marks are on both rear rotors but not the fronts.

Some marks appear to be the same shape and size of the brake pad. Such as if the car was parked inside when wet and sat for awhile and the pads stuck to the rotors which has happened.

Take a look at these pics. Would these marks indicate a cracked rotor? Notice in the first pic the mark does not run along the entire surface of the rotor. It's more of a gouge.

2013-05-30_13-30-52_797_zpsc511c663.jpg

2013-05-30_13-34-38_515_zpsec0cb2cd.jpg2013-05-30_13-35-07_501_zps8922c555.jpg

Edited by jseabolt, 31 May 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#2 TechJR

TechJR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Boardman, OR

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I've seen that frequently and it's usually just like you said; car sat in one position and a little bit of surface rust caused pitting. Keep an eye on it but from the pics it looks like no problem. You'll usually feel the brake pedal pulsing if it's cracked, which is rare on a car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users