Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aftermarket Drive Line

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

vehicle, engine, mileage?

if it does it when loaded, then how about suspension - struts, end links, bushings?

rear diffs on Subaru's never fail, i wouldn't let them rebuild it.  change the gear oil in it and see if any chunks/metal come out.

#27 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • PNW

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

vehicle, engine, mileage?

if it does it when loaded, then how about suspension - struts, end links, bushings?

rear diffs on Subaru's never fail, i wouldn't let them rebuild it.  change the gear oil in it and see if any chunks/metal come out.

1997 Outback

Auto

The struts have around 50k and the rest of suspension components appear fine to my armature eye.  The car is no where near bottomed out, i have king springs on which really help with that.

#28 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,085 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

I do have king springs on the car, so it sits about an 1.5" taller than normal. That might have something to do with my problem. Also I'm pretty sure the first two drive lines failed because i had tires that were having tread separation issues at speed. Do you think there is something else i should be checking for?

Spring height does not affect the driveshaft. The biggest factor leading to failure is u-joint angle. Usually because the center joint is either too high or too low in comparison to the front and rear joints.
Does your car have any lift blocks or spacers on the sub-frames? If so you need a spacer of the same height on the center driveshaft support.

The driveshafts also differ slightly between models. A legacy Outback driveshaft center support is designed to sit about 3/4" lower than a driveshaft from an L or GT model.

#29 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • PNW

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Spring height does not affect the driveshaft. The biggest factor leading to failure is u-joint angle. Usually because the center joint is either too high or too low in comparison to the front and rear joints.
Does your car have any lift blocks or spacers on the sub-frames? If so you need a spacer of the same height on the center driveshaft support.

The driveshafts also differ slightly between models. A legacy Outback driveshaft center support is designed to sit about 3/4" lower than a driveshaft from an L or GT model.

I wish it had lifting blocks.  But no it doesn't

#30 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,085 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

When you get these replacement driveshafts are you getting them from Outback models?

#31 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • PNW

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'm told they are, but I didn't pull the drive shafts myself.

#32 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,085 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

They could be giving you the wrong driveshafts. Lengthwise an Outback and a base or L model driveshaft are the same. Only the center mount is different and may not appear so unless careful attention is paid to the mount.

With the correct driveshaft the u-joint angles are near 0 degrees. If you look at the driveshaft from the side of the car, it will appear to be parallel with the floor pan the entire way from front to back.
An incorrect driveshaft, in your case, would appear raised in the center, because the center mount is designed to place the driveshaft about an inh higher in the tunnel. This causes the u-joint angles to be excessive and will cause vibration and, there-fore, wear in the u-joints, leading to early failure.

Check to see if the driveshaft that's in the car looks straight, or if it raises toward the floor pan in the center.

#33 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • PNW

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

They could be giving you the wrong driveshafts. Lengthwise an Outback and a base or L model driveshaft are the same. Only the center mount is different and may not appear so unless careful attention is paid to the mount.

With the correct driveshaft the u-joint angles are near 0 degrees. If you look at the driveshaft from the side of the car, it will appear to be parallel with the floor pan the entire way from front to back.
An incorrect driveshaft, in your case, would appear raised in the center, because the center mount is designed to place the driveshaft about an inh higher in the tunnel. This causes the u-joint angles to be excessive and will cause vibration and, there-fore, wear in the u-joints, leading to early failure.

Check to see if the driveshaft that's in the car looks straight, or if it raises toward the floor pan in the center.

The drive line does appear to be  flat.  But while i was down there i noticed a loose nut on the transmission mount.  I don't know if this could be causing the problem, or caused by it.  But when i try to tighten the nut the stud just spins.

#34 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • N. California

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

The stud shouldn't spin, it's part of the trans mount.  Maybe it was broken when the new mount was installed.

The gap is normal.

You'll notice your mount does not have as many studs as the one pictured below.  The new ones are like yours.

IMG_0908.jpg

#35 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • PNW

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Bummer, I guess I still don't have a lead on the problem then.

#36 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • N. California

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

Well you should probably figure out why the stud spins...

#37 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,085 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

It looks like someone broke the mount stud and put a bolt through it. There shouldn't be a giant washer on there, and that second stud looks about 1/2" longer than it needs to be. Not a big deal, but you'll want to see if you can get a wrench on the head of the bolt so you can tighten it.
Is that the cause of the vibration problem? Probably not. However, you should check the bolts that hold the cross member to the frame. Good chance those could be loose as well considering whoever repaired that mount left that bolt loose.

As for the vibration issue, still sounds like a driveshaft issue, but I suppose it could be an axle problem as well. 270k is a lot of miles for a stock axle and if you're towing with the car they are getting more than normal wear.

What happens if you put the FWD fuse in? Does the vibration get worse or go away?

#38 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • PNW

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

The problem is still there with the FWD in.  I'll check over the rear axles a little more, they are orginal.

EDIT: I was wrong, it does still do it with the FWD fuse in.   I just didn't have enough of a load on the car when i tried.

Edited by sario, 26 June 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#39 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,085 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

If its still there when in FWD its probably one of the front axles.
If either has even been replaced with an aftermarket axle, I would suspect that one first.
Subaru axles have green paint on the axle cups.

#40 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • PNW

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

I was wrong, it does still do it with the FWD fuse in.   I just didn't have enough of a load on the car when i tried.

#41 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • PNW

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

While investigating this problem i found had a rear sticking brake caliper.  I rebuilt the calipers and the problem seems to have gone away. 
Also replaced the diff fluid,  maybe that was the problem.  Either way i'm happy.  Thanks for everyones help, and I'll report back if the problem reappears. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users