Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Engine Tick, Noisy Valves?

engine valves tick

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rpine1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post on the site and I have  a question about my 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5.

My car has 125,000 miles and I took it into subaru to get routine maintenance. Of course they told me a few things I should fix on my car, one of which was a leaking valve cover gasket. Before I took it in I also noticed that my car has been making a noisy ticking sound. I believe that the ticking sound has always been there but seems to be louder than in the past. When I talked to the Subaru Tech he told me that there wasn't much he could do unless I wanted to spend 1K plus trying to tinker with the valvles to figure out what the problem was. The service writer told me it wasn't a big deal and I went on my way.

Although I would love to just believe that there is nothing wrong with my car, I would like to see if there is anyone out there that can give me a little more information on this subject. I have read that a "Ticking" noise from Subaru's is quite common but the causes can vary. Below are two links of my car with the engine running. If anyone can provide help, it would be very much appreciated!

#2 -tombba-

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Finland

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sounds like a fauly hydraulic valve lifters to me. If it is it's not a big deal but very annoying and ofcourse it means losing some power because of the lifters are not working correctly. BUT I don't even know that does that engine have hydraulic valve lifters :) It just sounds exactly like the tick of dead in the older subarus altought your engine does not even sound bad yet.

Edited by -tombba-, 01 June 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#3 rpine1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for the reply, after asking around a bit your suggestion as to the issue seems to be the most common response I am getting.

I am however having trouble understanding the actual severity of this issue? I heard that it would easily cost 1k+ In a reputable shop to fix but I'm not even sure if its worth doing? I guess the question I'm trying to find out is if the issue *is* the valve lifters will I end up having more severe car issues in the near future based on not fixing it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users