Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

efi starts, but dies immediately

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:54 AM

so i got this mpfi that hasnt ran in a couple years, supposedly due to a fuel pump. so i changed the pump to a junkyard unit. now the car starts, idles for about 1-2 seconds, then dies. if i throttle it, it will rev up fast, and run out of juice even faster. if i pour gas down the throat, it will run, and rev up, untill it runs out of fuel.
i pinched off the return line, after the regulator, and it does the same thing, but... theres so much fuel pressure, that doing this makes the lines leak, at the hose clamps. so it seems like i have adequate fuel pressure.
and since its starting for a second, my injectors must be opening, then the computer is telling them to shut off.
could this be something as stupid as a tps? andybody have anything i can try?
thanks in advance

#2 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:15 PM

did the fuel pump come out of a suby with the same unit? the mpfi, has a very high fuel pressure where as the carbed versions and tbi versions do not. the pumps look the same too.

also something to think about, are you sure its running out of fuel? maybe it is shutting off because of something else. maf sensor maybe, thats the ways a car acts when you unplug the maf. also does it have a new fuel fiter?

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,353 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:52 PM

sounds MAF related. unplug the wire to it and it will do what you describe.

is the fuel pump coming on? my mpfi turbo will kick the relays, but no pump, i had to make a toggle switch. the problem is between the wiring between the relay and the pump

#4 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:57 PM

i think he said it was getting fuel, it just acted like it was stopping.

i also think it was the maf.

#5 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:32 PM

One thing to be aware of is that the ECU is designed to turn on the pump for a certain period of time while the engine is being started. After this period of time the ECU expects to receive a signal from the distributor. When it dose the ECU will turn the pump back on, if it doesn’t the pump will stay shut off and the engine will run until it uses up what's left of the fuel in the system.

#6 aba4430

aba4430

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Royston, GA

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:16 PM

Is there an idle air control valve (IAC) on these. If it starts up and dies, the IAC could be a culprit.
aba4430

#7 bigjim5551212

bigjim5551212

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:54 PM

Im not sure about this, but on cars with a ballast resistor in the ignition, the starter circuit has high voltage, but then the ballast cuts the voltage to the ignition. Then the engine runs faster after that, it gets more voltage. Could the ignition be cutting out after the engine starts?

#8 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:36 AM

no balast resistors here but good thinking. if the car is starting the disty signal is probably not it.

I vote maf as well. if the computer does not see air flow it will shut down the fuel pump. its a safty feature. I know the flaper style mafs actually have a little switch inside for this purpouse.
not sure how the hot wire mafs do it but its the same theory.

of course wiring could be the problem as well if the signal never gets to the ecm.

#9 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:44 AM

the mpfi car i wired myself, will run with the maf unplugged, good enough to go around the block(tried it on accident once)

#10 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,353 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:39 AM

ok if you were to hotwire the pump and it still runs, then the following quote below would be the problem. makes sense to me.

One thing to be aware of is that the ECU is designed to turn on the pump for a certain period of time while the engine is being started. After this period of time the ECU expects to receive a signal from the distributor. When it dose the ECU will turn the pump back on, if it doesn’t the pump will stay shut off and the engine will run until it uses up what's left of the fuel in the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users