Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale is pinging, why????????

I have a 92 Loyale with 150K on it. All bone stock. It runs great, leaks oil, gets 30 mpg , no problems but one. I live at almost 8000 feet, and it pings like crazy on heavy load (uphill etc), more so when I use the AC, which is rarely, but the dogs like it. I've tuned it up with Bosch platinum plugs, new cap, wires, etc.... The timing was set at 20 btdc, which is what the hood sticker calls for, don't know what else to do but maybe retard the timing just a little?? Only other thing is when it's warmed up and idling, it makes popping sounds from the tailpipe, not loud, the same level as the exhaust sound just a popping or a sputtering, exhaust valves???

I use quality gasoline from Chevron, Shell, etc.. but according to physics, (which I know little about) living at altitude my car should require less octane, so I use 88 or 89 whatever the station offers. I was hesitant to lower my timing that much. According to the hood sticker, it said 20 BTDC +/- 2 degrees. The other problem is when I use 92 gas, it runs better, but when I drive to lower elevations, it pings like crazy.

I don't think the hood's been replaced. It says so on the tune up specs sticker on the hood at any altitude the timing is set at 20btdc +/- 2 degrees. It only goes away when I use 92 octane, which is a problem when I decend to less than 5000 feet which is often on my trips. I use Bosch dual electrode plat plugs, and they are fairly clean still after 15 k miles on them.

20 degs is the spec for a SPFI engine, see the attached pic.

Your EGR system may have a problem with it, like a clogged tube, bad valve or a bad solenoid.

Another possibility could be the plugs you are using. From what I've head, the Bosch plugs being sold for Subarus doesn’t use the right heat range. Try switching to NGK plugs. The Stock plug is a NGK BPR6ES-11.

i had always thought advanceing the timing would ake things worse. since he is at a higer altitude the air is less dense, and so he would have to have it retarded. on any car i have ever owned when it pings you retard the timing. the reason it isnt pinging with the 92 octane is because it has a higher detonation tolerance, and the lesser octane doesnt. it wouldnt ping if the timing is too retarded, it would miss and lack power.

correct me if im wrong here.

Along with GLCGC, my first thought was to get some NGK's in place of the Bosch plugs. As far as the timing issue, I think there is a setup proceedure you must do first before checking the timing. I am not sure what needs to be done, but some steps need to be done before checking the timing marks, I think anyways. Are you aware of any setup proceedures?

Along with GLCGC, my first thought was to get some NGK's in place of the Bosch plugs. As far as the timing issue, I think there is a setup proceedure you must do first before checking the timing. I am not sure what needs to be done, but some steps need to be done before checking the timing marks, I think anyways. Are you aware of any setup proceedures?

you are right. you need to get the engine up to operating temperature, then connect the green connectors under the dash by the ecu.

It could also be pinging due to carbon deposits in the cylinders, which can be expected for 150,000 miles. The carbon acts as a sponge, soaking up some of the fuel, leaning otu the mixture and making it ping. Try a bottle of Chevron Techron, it's about $8 for a bottle. If that doesn't work, you might want to look into having your fuel system cleaned, that will run about $80 but it will clean all the carbon out of the cylinders, and that should make it stop pinging. Worked on my Legacy...

Wow - the vacuum advance must have an advance, and a retard line then I should think... maybe check the retard logic to see if all is working properly??

I'll have to remember that spec for when I put the SPFI on an EA81....

GD

The SPFI uses the Optical distributor like the later EA82T. It dose not have a vaccum advance or retard. Either the ECU controls the advance/retard or it stays at 20 degs all the time.