Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 DOHC 2.5 cam sprocket hash mark question.

So I got off work yesterday and my neighbor has it all buttoned up with new head gaskets on but it won't start and only managed to backfire once up through the intake and I thought I could hear the clock clock clock of valves touching pistons while cranking. He insisted the timing was right on and he's re-checked it several times. I glanced at it and observed the two hashmarks on each cam sprocket are adjacent to each other with the crank mark straight up. I believe he needs some pics to guide him if its not too late for that? Probably is though. I couldn't find any pictorial guide while searching this morning and I'm trying to get out the door right now to get to my regular job.  He has thrown a bunch of money at it on machine shop work, new head gaskets and seals, belt, etc. but he's still obviously just learning the  DOHC 2.5's  and always in a hurry to get things done.  Thanks.

I guess it is what it is at this point. Valves are probably bent. Next step will be pulling the heads off for a damage assessment. I could walk away with the entire car for five hundred dollars this evening (due to his frustration) but I'd rather see him get it running. It's a learning curve thing for him for sure. But I certainly would like to know why none of the cam sprocket marks line up after you rotate the crank 360 degrees. But if you rotate the crank clockwise again another 360 degrees everything lines up again. Could that be where everything went haywire while he was setting the cam timing? 

I guess it is what it is at this point. Valves are probably bent. Next step will be pulling the heads off for a damage assessment. I could walk away with the entire car for five hundred dollars this evening (due to his frustration) but I'd rather see him get it running. It's a learning curve thing for him for sure. But I certainly would like to know why none of the cam sprocket marks line up after you rotate the crank 360 degrees. But if you rotate the crank clockwise again another 360 degrees everything lines up again. Could that be where everything went haywire while he was setting the cam timing? 

Becuase it's a 4 stroke engine. 

Crank rotates 2 full 360 degrees for every one 360 degree rotation of the Cams.

The mark on the crank sprocket wasn't exactly at 12 o'clock AFTER HE GOT THE TIMING BELT ON. He missed it apparently. Bummer. I printed out the 2.5 timing info and gave him a copy and suggested he study it. I doubt if he will make that mistake again.

Intake and exhaust manifolds for the 2.5 heads won't match the 2.2 heads.

If he wants to do 2.2 heads he would be better off using 95 dual port heads. Also need the intake manifold from a 95 with EGR.

Try timing it correctly first and see if it starts. If he was only a few teeth off it may be fine.

• 1 month later...