Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2,500 mile uHaul with 96 Legacy (108k)

Things are looking up as far as being able to move my homesick little self back to WA. uHaul says I can have a 4x8 or 4x6 trailer. Anybody tried dragging these things across country? Would I be better off with the little one?

Also, my mechanic says I need a new clutch cuz mine is "stiff". He thinks that should be replaced before I drag the uHaul. Weeelllll, I don't want the trouble of new clutch shudder, and if I'm gonna toast a clutch, wouldn't it be better to toast the old one?

did this years ago with a 90 legacy...just not as far. If I am correct the 4x6 isn't as high as the 4x8. whichever is closest to the height of the legacy works best (aerodynamics). Fill the tires on the trl. to max pressure (tells you on the trl.) Make sure you load the trl. right too. Too much tounge weight is bad and not enough is OH MY GOD!!!! this thing is all over the place.

As for the clutch...let it go and drive gently...don't lug the engine (too low of RPM's) and no agressive shifting. You would be very surprised what a legacy can tow and how fast it can do it. I had a vehicle on a dolly once that all in all was about 4000 LBS. behind mine. My buddy called it "the little suby that could"

Also, I towed a VW beetle on a tow bar behind mine at 75 on the highway (I know not smart...) but it did it and it did it well is what i am saying.

And most importantly remember that stops are longer and turns must be taken wider.

Good luck,

Matt

Especially in traffic, drive three or four cars ahead (you should anyhow). Anticipate stops and red lights and coast up, hopefully hitting the green. Your worst wear on the clutch is the first three feet.

As for the 'stiff' clutch. I think you mechanic has a boat payment coming up. The clutch on my '87 has been 'stiff' for 95,000 miles and hasn't slipped yet. Drive easy, keep you speed sane and watch for slipstream vortex when the semis blow by you at 80.

I haul 2500lbs boat+trailer from time to time with 2000 legacy AT.

Have surge disk brakes installed on the trailer but made several trips before brakes got installed (aftermarket). No problems with braking even in mildly hilly area. No overheating, no warped disks. Be prepared to replace pads earlier (45000 in my case).

Mind that the same (or very similar) legacies/outbacks sold in Europe/Australia are "approved" to tow much more than the 2000lbs limit in US.

Mind that the same (or very similar) legacies/outbacks sold in Europe/Australia are "approved" to tow much more than the 2000lbs limit in US.

I think subaru is pretty conseravative with their max towing numbers like most companies. I bought a 90 junk legacy 5spd, AWD for $100 dollors and towed some heavy loads 3500, for short distances with no problems, also dragged and pulled alot of cars/trucks out of muddpits, and sand and it did fine.