Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Silicone Removal?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Winlock Wa.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Anyone have any good tips on getting rid of this stuff? I have my windshied out right now and I'm trying to remove that black RTV silicone they use as a sealant.

#2 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Razor Blade is about the best I've found.

There is a "silicone caulk disolver" now at your local home center - never tried it though.

#3 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

It's probably not rtv, there is a special windshield adhesive that they use that is black, it sticks way better than rtv. acetone works well to help get it cleaned up nicely.

#4 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Crazyeights

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,250 posts
  • Pacific Northwest

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

It's probably urethane. Talk to a glass person, but I think you are supposed to leave some intact for the new adhesive to adhere to.

#5 Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Winlock Wa.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think you're right on it not being rtv. I have a tube of weatherstripping adhesive somewhere that this resembles quite a bit, now that I think about it. The problem is there isn't much left where it needs to be because of rust but large chunks around the edge, and I want to get rid of it before I fix the rust and paint over it.

#6 somick

somick

92 Loyale

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • alaska

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

If nothing works, or you are short on acetone, try brake fluid.  It removes urthane fairly well when it is still wet.  I do not know how it works on the hardened one.

Sam

#7 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Since he's repainting anyway brake fluid might be worth a try. Just don't use it if your not planning on repainting since brake fluid will destroy your paint job.

#8 somick

somick

92 Loyale

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • alaska

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

Since he's repainting anyway brake fluid might be worth a try. Just don't use it if your not planning on repainting since brake fluid will destroy your paint job.

The brake fluid will soften paint first.  It takes at least 20-30 minutes to soften latex, sometimes even more then this.  The car paint is much stronger.  So there is no big danger here.

#9 Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Winlock Wa.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

I will try both tomorrow and report my findings. I will even wear a lab coat while I do it, to make it official.

#10 Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Winlock Wa.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

the answer is... Putty knife and a wire wheel. Brake fluid did soften it up but didn't make a noticeable difference. It did clean the paint very well. It would work better if you were willing to leave it on overnight, but with the rain coming in tomorrow, I don't have that kind of time.

Just a reminder, don't forget to wear goggles when using a wire wheel. I took a needle to the face today.

#11 Tsuru

Tsuru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Darby, Montana

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Glad it wasn't to the eye...

Ouch either way.

Glad you survived.

#12 Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Winlock Wa.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

I was wearing my goggles, but every time something like this happens it just reminds me why I wear them.

#13 Tsuru

Tsuru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Darby, Montana

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

cheap insurance,

Good on you Lad! Good on you!

#14 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,942 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Definitely don't remove all of it on a windshield seal.  A little left behind is absolutely fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users