Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas Tank Filling Problem

I recently (last week) purchased an 88 GL Wagon, 4wd, 5spd. It has a strange quirk with the gas tank where fuel doesn't seem to want to go in. If the pump is used at anything above the absolute minimum flow rate, gas backs up in the filler and shuts off the pump. I'm guessing air isn't escaping the tank fast enough, but I can't see any obstruction looking into the filler. How is the tank vented, is it just through the filler hole? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

This happens sometimes if the pump thingie is angled funny compared to the tank filler neck, too. I sometimes wonder if the angle and/or diameter of the filler neck has a weird mate with certain styles of pump heads. I have had this same experience, but only at certain gas stations.

When it happens, try pulling the pump out about a half-inch or so, and let it 'hang' a little 'flatter' (as opposed to "half-way vertical") and see if that doesn't do the trick for you. Or play around with it, sometimes it has to be a wee bit MORE vertical, etc.

Edited by man on the moon
  • Like 1

This happens sometimes if the pump thingie is angled funny compared to the tank filler neck, too. I sometimes wonder if the angle and/or diameter of the filler neck has a weird mate with certain styles of pump heads. I have had this same experience, but only at certain gas stations.

When it happens, try pulling the pump out about a half-inch or so, and let it 'hang' a little 'flatter' (as opposed to "half-way vertical") and see if that doesn't do the trick for you. Or play around with it, sometimes it has to be a wee bit MORE vertical, etc.

I have had this problem at a couple of gas stations, it doesn't happen every time. It's almost like the way the gas coming out creates a vapor lock.

Good suggestion though, definatly worth trying.

Tried to pull off the gas filler tube last night but the phillips head screws were seized pretty bad, going to try some penetrating oil and more force tonight. This is definitely worse than just some pumps being high flow. At the absolute lowest fill rate at every gas pump I've tried, it backs up and disables the pump about once every gallon or two. I can only put about $20 in the tank at a time before getting bored.

The fill vent comes off the top of the tank, short section of hose over to the small tube on the filler tube.

Wondering if someone has dropped the tank and has kinked the vent hose during installation.

Just can't see the vent getting blocked any other way, but......

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to get the screws out on the gas filler tube (the three behind the gas door), they look a little rusty, and I've hit them with PB Blaster a couple times to no avail. Considering just drilling them out and using the one from the parts car that came apart really easily.