Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gas Tank Filling Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

I recently (last week) purchased an 88 GL Wagon, 4wd, 5spd. It has a strange quirk with the gas tank where fuel doesn't seem to want to go in. If the pump is used at anything above the absolute minimum flow rate, gas backs up in the filler and shuts off the pump. I'm guessing air isn't escaping the tank fast enough, but I can't see any obstruction looking into the filler. How is the tank vented, is it just through the filler hole? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

#2 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

There should be a line that goes to the filler separate from where the gas goes down into the tank that is about 1/2 in diameter that's the vent hose, it might be clogged.

#3 man on the moon

man on the moon

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Denver

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

This happens sometimes if the pump thingie is angled funny compared to the tank filler neck, too. I sometimes wonder if the angle and/or diameter of the filler neck has a weird mate with certain styles of pump heads. I have had this same experience, but only at certain gas stations.

When it happens, try pulling the pump out about a half-inch or so, and let it 'hang' a little 'flatter' (as opposed to "half-way vertical") and see if that doesn't do the trick for you. Or play around with it, sometimes it has to be a wee bit MORE vertical, etc.

Edited by man on the moon, 08 June 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#4 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

This happens sometimes if the pump thingie is angled funny compared to the tank filler neck, too. I sometimes wonder if the angle and/or diameter of the filler neck has a weird mate with certain styles of pump heads. I have had this same experience, but only at certain gas stations.

When it happens, try pulling the pump out about a half-inch or so, and let it 'hang' a little 'flatter' (as opposed to "half-way vertical") and see if that doesn't do the trick for you. Or play around with it, sometimes it has to be a wee bit MORE vertical, etc.

I have had this problem at a couple of gas stations, it doesn't happen every time. It's almost like the way the gas coming out creates a vapor lock.

Good suggestion though, definatly worth trying.

#5 Lacyjs9

Lacyjs9

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Mcleansville NC

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

happens to me at certain pumps also and with different cars not just my roo some pumps put out more pressure 

#6 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Its cause the pumps cant handle the high gas prices they were never ment to go that fast

#7 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Its cause the pumps cant handle the high gas prices they were never ment to go that fast

Good logic :grin:

#8 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Tried to pull off the gas filler tube last night but the phillips head screws were seized pretty bad, going to try some penetrating oil and more force tonight. This is definitely worse than just some pumps being high flow. At the absolute lowest fill rate at every gas pump I've tried, it backs up and disables the pump about once every gallon or two. I can only put about $20 in the tank at a time before getting bored.

#9 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,030 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

The fill vent comes off the top of the tank, short section of hose over to the small tube on the filler tube.

Wondering if someone has dropped the tank and has kinked the vent hose during installation.

Just can't see the vent getting blocked any other way, but......

#10 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

I can't seem to get the screws out on the gas filler tube (the three behind the gas door), they look a little rusty, and I've hit them with PB Blaster a couple times to no avail. Considering just drilling them out and using the one from the parts car that came apart really easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users