Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front end noise

1987 Subaru gl 3 speed automatic I have been having clunking,grinding type noises from front end when accelerating from a stop.Does not do it at other times.I have taken the advise of some of the replys to my previous posts on Subaru forum.Have replaced both front cv axles,wheel bearings and left hub.What else could it be??? .No one in this town knows!  Is there someone who has a idea? I don't want to junk it. Car has only 87,000. Engine runs good. Thanks............Used Car

Yep check the motor mounts, but did you inspect the right hub as well? Also check your muffler system, I had a weird noise in my 80 for a long time that made me think I had a bad bearing, it turned out to be my muffler scrapeing against the rear end hanger because the p.o. Used a bungee cord to hold the muffler mounts and every time I stepped on the gas it would flex just enough to make it scrape and sound like a banging grinding noise.

• Like 1

id closely inspect the hub since you replaced the axles when i got mine it would pop and click every once and a while then i drove 300 constant miles and it got worse and constant upon further inspection i found this hub_zps81a0c4af.jpg

I had a grinding noise on my '85 wagon. 85,000 miles. My finely tuned hearing sense lead me directly to the left rear hub. Pulled the brake drum and found what was left of a few brake springs and clips. As others have suggested..... CHECK YOUR BRAKES !!!

Try and judge if the noise is in time with your wheel rotation or your engine rotation. I once had a very similar sound on a Daimler Majestic Major and it turned out to be a loose bolt in the torque converter bell housing. Having mostly had manual cars I didn't find the fault but a friend who had driven many automatics recognised it.  It's just a suggestion if you find nothing else wrong with the wheel/axle/hub assemblies.

• Like 1