Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1993 Legacy sedan with 170k miles that I recently purchased. Last week I noticed the tranny slipping as I accelerated from stop. I have identified 2nd gear as the problem. I was planning on changing the ATF and filter today, when I stumbled upon this forum. I get the impression that since the filter is more of a screen that dropping the pan is a waste of time. The fluid is very dirty and probably not been changed in quite a while. I am concerned that the problems are worse than a fluid change will help, but its worth a shot. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

The filter is more than a screen and should be changed. You should also drop the pan, even if it does have an external filter. You need to clean the pan out and clean the metal off the magnet. This will also let you see what's floating around in there.

Yeah.

1) drain the fluid

2) drop the pan

3) replace the filter (it's cheap and includes a gasket) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9ULU8

4) disconnect the outlet hose at the cooler and stick it in a bucket, the outlet is the one that comes off the front of the trans

5) dump 5 qts down the dipstick

6) start the motor while watching the fluid come out

7) stop the motor when the fluid comes out clean, if it stops coming out before coming clean go back to step 5 (you shouldn't have to)

8) reconnect the hose and put 3 qts down the dipstick.

9) start the car and check the level, it takes about 10 qts total

You should also adjust the brake band for 2nd gear.  It's not that hard but it is in a tricky spot.

1) support the rear of the trans with a jack

2) remove the bolts attaching the crossmember to the car

3) lower the rear of the trans a bit

4) loosen the locknut on the band adjustment (17mm wrench), it's near the starter on top of the trans but a bit further back

5) tighten the band adjustment until it's just snug (8mm wrench), making sure the locknut is not bottoming out

6) loosen the band adjustment 1.5 turns

7) while holding the band adjuster with a wrench to keep from turning tighten the locknut

8) raise the trans and put the bolts back in

This is from memory but should be close enough.

I finished draining the ATF and changing the transmission filter ( the filter was practically clogged, see attached photo). The existing fluid was completely black! Without even adjusting the Brake band all slipping is now corrected. Thanks for the help 987687 and presslab.post-48204-0-84733900-1370919471_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sub-A-Ru Boise