Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 loyale 4wd non-turbo exhaust tips needed!

My Soob, which I Purchased 3 months ago, it's exhaust is concerning me. It is a really clean car, I am in LOVE! I just want to prolong the life of her. I I do lite offoading, since it is also my commuter.

This is the problem. It knocks loud when warming up, and when accelerating. When warm, the noise dies down, and is periodic.

I pinpointed the noise when changing the oil, noticing it on the passenger side of the front muffler assembly exiting the motor.

Remedies? Replacement? I am trying to avoid purchasing a catylic converter, but the only parts found online include it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!

if its a hole making noise you can weld it up so it wont leak, if its a vibration rattle first check the exhaust mounts and any heat shields on the car.  many times its just a loose bolt or worn mount.  heat shields are notorious for making rattles.  if its the inside of the catalytic converter then its likely the material inside and you need to take the cat out.  you can put in a new one, put in a pipe if you dont have to have it inspected or emissioned, or hollow it out with a broom handle and put it back on.  

Be very, very careful when playing with those exhaust studs in the head.. I'd undo those first, then the flange bolts back at the 2nd converter, then the one bolt by the trans. This will keep the pressure off the head studs while removing.. They thread right into aluminum and LOVE to eat threads if not careful.

You can also look for telltale signs of leaking exhaust (typically black streaking, or white deposits) or even feed a tiny bit of ATF through a vac line and when it burns, it produces a thick white smoke which likes to find it's way out of every hole in the exhaust.

Good Luck!

Great thanks! A bit off subject, my buddy was looking at it while it had been parked at a slight incline for about an hour. 10 secs after he left,

with it still running from looking, I left w

my kids in R going steeper up the paved hill,

it bogged and a huge cloud of SMOKE came

out from underneath, not the engine area. I popped it I N, coasted back down the incline quickly, E brake; still running, layed down looked and it was billowing for about 10 more secs, and stopped. The R upward made a ticking sound as well. I popped the hood and spare, checked the tranny stick and it was low. Ran to napa got some Lucas, I hope that's good, filled it bit by bit starting it up in between, it hasn't smoked since then, last Sunday. It scared the crap outta me, she seems fine, I have tested R since, getting it up there, but too scared to test a hill again.