Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not the standard strut lift question for a Legacy

RobUrban

I just bought a 1996 Legacy L Wagon. I've done nothing to it yet(I'm mechanically retarded). I measured the clearance and it said 8 inches. My question, how do I tell if its already had the Outback struts installed? I work at a Chevy Dealership installing and repairing windshields, so I can put it on a lift to check underneath.

outback struts spring perch would all ready alow you to mount bigger tires . i have a 1995 leggy l . i installed 04 forester springs and struts then put 15 rims and taller tires im sitting at about 12 inches of ground clearence now .

from where the strut bolts to the steering knuckle (for the front), if it's an OB or forester strut it'll be a few inches from that bracket to the bottom of the "champaign glass" cup (lower spring perch).  if it's legacy it'll only be like an 1-1.5" between there.

see pic, mounting bracket at bottom, and spring perch (in profile it kind of has that inverted funnel shape)

DSC01864.JPGDSC01866.JPG

BTW, where are you measuring to (rear differential, bottom of the body, front bumper, etc.) from the ground?  and are you on flat/level ground?

4.jpg

8" from this measurement seems reasonable for a legacy.

When they measure "minimum ground clearance" I think it's from a catalytic converter or maybe a CV joint going into a hub. . .

• 1 month later...

here's to add to my previous post.  This is a front (legacy style) strut and a taller (OB style) front strut side-by-side

shorter legacy on left, taller OB on right

4078138836_b4f2c5d50d_o.jpg

See how the lower spring perch site down lower/closer to where the strut mounts in the steering knuckle?