Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What I have is a 2001 legacy sedan and what I need is a good clutch and timing belt kit. My car has 113xxx on her and the clutch is on her way out and while I have the engine out I want to do the timing belt and everything because it was last done at 50,000 so I figured on just doing everything at once so I don't have to worry about it for another 100,000 miles.

But what I want to find out is what is a good clutch but nothing to expensive, also what is a good timing belt kit

Thanks, Luke 

+1 Exedy. Exedy Daikin makes the factory original clutch.

Gates makes a good timing belt kit, though they're usually a bit pricey.

Look for The Import Experts on eBay, or you can go to their website. They sell timing kits with everything you need at competitive prices.

Be sure to replace everything while you have it apart, belt, all of the idlers, tensioner, water pump, replace the front crank and camshaft oil seals, and the o-ring behind the oil pump. You should also check the screws on the backing plate of the oil pump to make sure they are tight.

When reassembling be sure to get the crank pulley bolt VERY tight, about 140 ftlbs, otherwise it could loosen and cause damage to the end of the crank.

• Like 1

Import Experts on Ebay - they have the best prices on decent quality.  some of the cheaper kits on ebay seem less robust, having installed multiple sets from various suppliers.

They will also allow you to contact them and add or take out any parts you want and essentially create your own kit.

While you're in there around the timing belt, for a reliable 100,000 miles you'll want to: 
replace timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner

reseal the oil pump (one oring from Subaru and anaerobic or appropriate RTV sealant around the pump case)

replace crank seal and 2 cam seals

replace the water pump - use a Subaru water pump gasket - the aftermarkets are cheap cardboard junk and prone to leak

replace the thermostat - use Subaru or XACTA from Stant, the others are visually inferior.

If it has a plastic rear separator plate you'll want to replace that and probably reseal the existing one if it's metal.  They crack/leak and it's easily done with the engine out for a clutch job.

Rear main seal issues in Subaru's are nearly bullet proof and never leak so make your own call on that.  Just be sure to install it exactly right and use a Subaru or Subaru quality seal - they are less forgiving than any other seal on unclean installs.