Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No power on pass side cyls? HELP!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hey i just got finished reinstalling the cam tower to replace a dropped follower for the cyl 3 and resealing the oil pump. i have tripple checked the belr timing and i seem to still be running on two cylinders.

I checked spark, even swapped wires to check that they werent reversed. i'm at a bit of a loss.the roll pins are incthe cams so they shouldnt be installed by someone else wrong. but still I can ground out either wire and get no rpm drop. drivers side is fine though.

ill be re-pulling the cam cover tonight to see if i have dropped lifters again. but i know they were properly inplace when i put it on. HELP! I NEED THIS CAR ON THE ROAD YESTERDAY. My job and therefore my childrens home is riding on it. thanks in advance

#2 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Ill also add i gave not yet adjusted dizzy or tps. but if one side is running good and the other isnt.....

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,512 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Did you rotate the crank 360 between installing the belts? 

The cam marks should be 180 from eachother, and should point diagonally  up n out, and down and out Pass/drivers side respectively when the crank is at TDC compression.

It would also be helpful to know what excact model....I'm assuming EA82, but is it MPFI or SPFI?

#4 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Spfi. And from what i saw you line it up with the three lll marks not 0 which would be tdc.

Yeah i did rotate 360 between. Cams are 180 out feom each other

#5 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

Also the video showed the timing being straight up (like the notch in the cover). This is the video i followed http://www.google.co...hIm7G5xGW58uGeg

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,512 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Spfi. And from what i saw you line it up with the three lll marks not 0 which would be tdc.

Yeah i did rotate 360 between. Cams are 180 out feom each other

Yes....3 marks = one cam staight up, one straight down.  these are the belt installation marks.

0TDC= dots diagonally up/out and down/out for disty installation at #1 cyl  this is the Disty install proceedure, or a good double check to see if the disty is 180 out.

Firing order is 1324

cyls arrangment looking at engine from front of car.

3  4

1  2

#7 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Being spi/tbi it cant be fuel
Being as drivers side bank are fine it cant really be ignition timing.
All i can think of as other issues is valve timing (that should be right), or lifters which the oil pump reseal should have helped. If you can think of anything let me know. Ill be pulling the valve cover tonight (late tonight due to family stuff) to check those folowers.

#8 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Being spi/tbi it cant be fuel
Being as drivers side bank are fine it cant really be ignition timing.
All i can think of as other issues is valve timing (that should be right), or lifters which the oil pump reseal should have helped. If you can think of anything let me know. Ill be pulling the valve cover tonight (late tonight due to family stuff) to check those folowers.

#9 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Ill check dizzy aswell. God i hope thats all it is.

#10 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,415 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

$10 bucks on the passeger side timing belt being wrong. 

#11 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

you're on. Do you want my paypal now or after i snap the pics tonight?

With crank pointer at center of those 3 marks one cam is pointed dead up the other is straight down. Checked it twice last night before starting. Once after and once this morning. Each time i spun it 360 to make sure they reversed and kept pointing where they were supposed to

#12 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,512 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

you're on. Do you want my paypal now or after i snap the pics tonight?

With crank pointer at center of those 3 marks one cam is pointed dead up the other is straight down. Checked it twice last night before starting. Once after and once this morning. Each time i spun it 360 to make sure they reversed and kept pointing where they were supposed to

Now turnt he engine over until the dots are diagonally OUT from eachother, and the crank is at 0TDC.

Then pull the disty cap and see if it's pointed at #1.

Verify valve timing by doing a compression check if needed.

#13 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Only compression tester i have is a rubber tipped versio where you push it to the hold. Ill hive ir a shot if itll fit in there though.

#14 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sorry posting by phone

#15 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,512 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Check were the disty is pointed at TDC first, and verify firing order is correct.

#16 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,415 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

sure, pm me

#17 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

IF the cam followers have fallen off, there are other likely causes other than oil pump pressure/flow.  There is some amount of technique involved in reassembly (usually involving a thick grease);  did you verify that all of the followers were in place before putting on the cover?  You could also have collapsed/bad hydraulic lash adjusters, a plugged oil gallery passage, bad cam-tower/head sealing ring, excessive venting at the tower oil-relief valve (not its proper name).

#18 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Resealed that side after using tje grease technique to replace the fallen lifter i found after buying the car. I can only guess they have fallen again. Ill know tonight for sure. Anyone done the lifters while head is on car before?

#19 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Replacing the fallen follower*

#20 ruparts

ruparts

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • hooper, co

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Replacing the fallen follower*

Hi ,  you need to check if the valves are stuck in an open position on the ones that the rockers have dropped off.   i had a motor that sat for a long time, upon starting it , some rockers dropped like you found ,   the valves were stuck which created the open space for them to drop off.   after using a soft hammer to thump them several times the valves seemed to begin to seat and when i put it back together the rockers did stay in place.  

#21 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Doing the HLAs in situ shouldn't be too tough... unless they are stuck in their bores, which might require some ingenious "persuading".  I assume that you had the the cam case off to do the rockers the first time, right?  The HLAs are just a slip-fit in their bores.

#22 ferp420

ferp420

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Vacuum leak maybe mine acted like that when my intake manifold gasket went out

#23 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

Just got home. to late to do any work (niece's birthday party :rolleyes: )

their just slip in? Awesome. I'll likely have it apart again tomorrow then

#24 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yes, they are just slip in... but I have had a few that refused to slip back out with merely kind words.

#25 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

Photo's and problem. The follower dropped again. Looks like I need a source for lifters cheap. Sorry pics took so long. I had family problems that couldn't be avoided.

1014559_10201344908494434_1346017372_o.j259327_10201344907494409_1088514053_o.jp1001638_10201344906654388_942693389_n.jp954693_10201344907134400_1267231313_n.jp

Edited by CarpeNoctem, 15 June 2013 - 01:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users