Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No power on pass side cyls? HELP!

Hey i just got finished reinstalling the cam tower to replace a dropped follower for the cyl 3 and resealing the oil pump. i have tripple checked the belr timing and i seem to still be running on two cylinders.

I checked spark, even swapped wires to check that they werent reversed. i'm at a bit of a loss.the roll pins are incthe cams so they shouldnt be installed by someone else wrong. but still I can ground out either wire and get no rpm drop. drivers side is fine though.

ill be re-pulling the cam cover tonight to see if i have dropped lifters again. but i know they were properly inplace when i put it on. HELP! I NEED THIS CAR ON THE ROAD YESTERDAY. My job and therefore my childrens home is riding on it. thanks in advance

Did you rotate the crank 360 between installing the belts? 

The cam marks should be 180 from eachother, and should point diagonally  up n out, and down and out Pass/drivers side respectively when the crank is at TDC compression.

It would also be helpful to know what excact model....I'm assuming EA82, but is it MPFI or SPFI?

Spfi. And from what i saw you line it up with the three lll marks not 0 which would be tdc.

Yeah i did rotate 360 between. Cams are 180 out feom each other

Yes....3 marks = one cam staight up, one straight down.  these are the belt installation marks.

0TDC= dots diagonally up/out and down/out for disty installation at #1 cyl  this is the Disty install proceedure, or a good double check to see if the disty is 180 out.

Firing order is 1324

cyls arrangment looking at engine from front of car.

3  4

1  2

Being spi/tbi it cant be fuel

Being as drivers side bank are fine it cant really be ignition timing.

All i can think of as other issues is valve timing (that should be right), or lifters which the oil pump reseal should have helped. If you can think of anything let me know. Ill be pulling the valve cover tonight (late tonight due to family stuff) to check those folowers.

Being spi/tbi it cant be fuel

Being as drivers side bank are fine it cant really be ignition timing.

All i can think of as other issues is valve timing (that should be right), or lifters which the oil pump reseal should have helped. If you can think of anything let me know. Ill be pulling the valve cover tonight (late tonight due to family stuff) to check those folowers.

you're on. Do you want my paypal now or after i snap the pics tonight?

With crank pointer at center of those 3 marks one cam is pointed dead up the other is straight down. Checked it twice last night before starting. Once after and once this morning. Each time i spun it 360 to make sure they reversed and kept pointing where they were supposed to

you're on. Do you want my paypal now or after i snap the pics tonight?

With crank pointer at center of those 3 marks one cam is pointed dead up the other is straight down. Checked it twice last night before starting. Once after and once this morning. Each time i spun it 360 to make sure they reversed and kept pointing where they were supposed to

Now turnt he engine over until the dots are diagonally OUT from eachother, and the crank is at 0TDC.

Then pull the disty cap and see if it's pointed at #1.

Verify valve timing by doing a compression check if needed.

IF the cam followers have fallen off, there are other likely causes other than oil pump pressure/flow.  There is some amount of technique involved in reassembly (usually involving a thick grease);  did you verify that all of the followers were in place before putting on the cover?  You could also have collapsed/bad hydraulic lash adjusters, a plugged oil gallery passage, bad cam-tower/head sealing ring, excessive venting at the tower oil-relief valve (not its proper name).

Replacing the fallen follower*

Hi ,  you need to check if the valves are stuck in an open position on the ones that the rockers have dropped off.   i had a motor that sat for a long time, upon starting it , some rockers dropped like you found ,   the valves were stuck which created the open space for them to drop off.   after using a soft hammer to thump them several times the valves seemed to begin to seat and when i put it back together the rockers did stay in place.  

Doing the HLAs in situ shouldn't be too tough... unless they are stuck in their bores, which might require some ingenious "persuading".  I assume that you had the the cam case off to do the rockers the first time, right?  The HLAs are just a slip-fit in their bores.