Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD to 2WD Complete in '88 GL wgn.

Finally... :) It's offically Four Wheel Drive!

Last night Archemitis and Justin helped work on my 1988 GL wagon. After obtaining the proper drive shaft (the shaft and tranny I had was from a dual rage sedan) Archemitis welded the center carrier bearing bracket to the unibody and Justin applied the water methodicly between welds. As Milesfox has noted, PLEASE remove ALL TRASH from under your seats befor welding under your car! :D Thankfully we had on hand a fire extingwisher (with a spare uptairs) and a bucket of water. Just a lot of smoke really. The carpet tends to just smoulder, smoke and NOT cuase flames while you weld below. Still water was required to keep it undercontrol. I was the bailing bucket boy :brow:

We also got on an EA81 Y-pipe (spacers are required) This part was a key component missing from my car for too long. What a difference it makes. I never gave enough credit to the engineering of those Y-pipes untill now. They are rage'n!

Anyway with more of God's good luck and a lot more work I should be driving to Iowa for the Midwest Meet. Since I have been working WAY below my budget to get this going (due to 90% of everything being an OEM swap) I'm going to get some new tires on my pug rims. The widetrack baja radials on there are far too dry rotten to put 800 miles on in 3 days; but what do you expect from paying $20 for all 4 on rims? lol

A big thanks to all those who helped me; both directly and indirectly. You know who you are, and I thank you :drunk: This whole project is 4 years in the making and finally coming around. Can't wait to hit the road with it :)

Peace.

Final Agenda:

Bleed brakes better: Tried a gravity bleed. Got some air out bot not all. What's your favoriate method?

Tires: Gonna swing by Wal-Mart and get 4 new Liborater A/T tires mounted on my 15" pugz. Should be a no brainer but what's all this talk about pug lug nuts?

Radiator hose: Lower hose is too long/tall with 3" lift. Any "universal" solutions? Somebody know a different model that swaps in nice?

Test drive!

stock subie lug nuts will work on all pug steels. I put 40k miles on mtnGrizzly with soob lug nuts and pug steels.

the only ones that really need the special nuts are the 15" pug alloys. the 14" alloys can use std nuts, or at least the std steel/long style nuts....

stock subie lug nuts will work on all pug steels. I put 40k miles on mtnGrizzly with soob lug nuts and pug steels.

the only ones that really need the special nuts are the 15" pug alloys. the 14" alloys can use std nuts, or at least the std steel/long style nuts....

Thanks for the heads up. Lug nuts are good to go.

Now I just gotta bleed teh brakes properly and find me a radiator hose!

Glad to here all is going well and that your almost done. Can't you just trim off the radiator hose. As far as bleeding the brakes I just use the old fashion pumping method always worked for me just make sure you keep the master cylinder toped off. I'll give you a call later on this week to find out the details of when we are leaving on Friday.

Later, Joe