Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale 5 speed falling out of gear on downhills. ?

I have a 92 Loyale with 5 speed tranny and if I go down a hill in 1st or 2nd gear, it will fall out of gear. The feel of the detents seems fine. Why would it do that? Maybe I don't wash/wax enough and it's mad at me..... :unsure: It has 160k on it. Runs smoothly. No tranny noises.

cnc

Yep bad bearings, I would put in a u-pullit trans just in case it gets bad when you take it apart. It's hard to tell what the metal from the bad bearings could have done to the others until its apart they could be on the way out.

Rats. Not the aswer I was looking for, but I appreciate the straight skinny. I am planning on yanking the engine out and resealing it soon, so that's an ideal time to do the tranny. I'm leary of a u-pullit, cuz it's an unknown. Are the bearings commonly available from bearing houses or is this a Subaru dealer thing?

I'm not familiar with the gizzards of a Subaru tranny. Is the bearing replacement something I can do without spilling a gazillion little pieces onto the floor?

Thanks, guys.

cnc