Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi yall, 

Wondering what to do: 

I have a 94 legacy with a body that has 277k. One owner prior to myself, regularly maintained, etc. 

Woodruff keyhole is shot, and everyone is saying that I need to put in a different engine--low mileage or rebuilt. 

Options are: 

1) Go to All Wheel Drive Auto: shop in Kirkland seems very thorough and to do excellent work, but itll cost me an arm and a leg --well, just $4,700. But does it make sense to put in this much money to an older car (if I could pop the engine in myself I would, but I have limited ie no mechanical skills). 

2) Go to Engine Haus: Shop over in Gig Harbor that claims to use OEM seals and gaskets, etc, and put in a rebuilt engine. I haven't been able to find out that much about this place and it seems their facebook is mia. Estimated cost is $3,000. 

3) Sell of the car as is, other than the engine, the car's in great shape body etc etc immaculate. 

unless the crank broke off a piece 2 inches long, you can repair this and drive again.

the key is intended to align the crank sprocket in the proper position until you bolt it down.

it is not intended to hold the sprocket in the proper position when the bolt loosen.

the wear is due to the crank bolt not being tight enough.

ALL OF THE WEAR is in the ''unbolt'', counter clockwise direction.

this means if you put it back together, line it up correctly, when you torque the crank bolt the parts will hold in the correct position.

you will need a new/ used crank sprocket, pulley, key, and bolt.

you may have to clean up the crank a bit to get the old off and the new on.

line it up and bolt it down.

there are other ways to make the repairs, better, more expensive, more permanent ways.

but plenty of engine have been fixed just as i have described.

Edited by johnceggleston

Like John said, new (used) crank pulley, key and bolt. Install line up and crank the bolt down to about 140 ftlbs.

This is an all too common problem on these engines when someone doesn't tighten the crank bolt enough after a timing belt job, or other repair which involves removing the crank pulley. Easily fixable and no engine replacement necessary.

I fixed an EJ22 like this for a customer almost 100k ago and have since done another timing belt on the same engine. Still going strong. If you are really worried about it use some JB weld to fill in the keyway damage and some blue loc-tite on the bolt. I would suggest RED but it might be overkill.

Edited by Crazyeights

i dont know how to do this work. 

crazyeights:

where are you in the pnw? im east of seattle just 15 miles. 

can you do this work for me? do you recommend someone that can? how much would the cost look like here? seems like a straight forward fix, which i would do. 

but, additionally, the engines leaking oil left and right so i need to get it all resealed anyway which led me to a rebuild/low mileage option. 

thoughts on quality rebuilt engines/installers?