Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When ac compressor engages it will squeal loud .Not all the time but enough. Is it the clutch?or something else.I don't use ac i'm afraid it will break belt. Need your help it's getting getting hot here in illinois.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Check belt tension first. Then, try to turn the compressor center hub by hand: if it's really difficult to turn, then it's likely running dry and/or getting close to the end of its service life. If your car has no power and wants to stall at idle with the compressor engaged, it would be in your best interest to quit running it: it's much easier to clean out the lines and replace a not-quite-dead compressor than it is to try to get all of the debris from a completely failed compressor.

My RX-7's compressor was locked up when I bought it, so replacing it included removing all components and flushing them in addition to a rebuilt compressor, new o-rings, a new receiver/dryer (which should always be replaced with a conversion from R12 to R134 because of the dessicant differences) and a new expansion valve. ACDelco makes a liquid line refrigerant filter that will prevent any debris coming from a failing compressor (or stuck in the condenser from the last failure) from flowing through the rest of the A/C system and traveling to the compressor's suction port and hastening its demise; I installed one just in case (rebuild compressors apparently don't have the best reputation).