Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 Outback

Numbchux

Not much of a build thread, but I thought I'd post something. I just got a screaming deal on this car. I wanted an H6 version to be my girlfriend's next DD, so we might flip this one for market value, and look for an H6 one. Although, we don't want leather or VDC, and that combo is pretty rare, so we might just hang onto this....I don't know.

Anyway, highlights. 2003 Outback, All-weather pack (standard in 2003), 4EAT, Dealer-installed trailer hitch, Subaru hitch-mounted bike rack, Dealer maintenance for the first owner (up to about 70k miles), then no documentation except brakes at 75k. It now has 105k on it, and has been a little neglected and beat in the last 30k or so.

IMG_20130610_200927.jpg

It was due for a timing belt, so I did that today (acc belts were original too). Interesting observation, I bought a Duralast (Dayco) component kit, and the tensioner had the OEM part number stamped on it. Pretty sweet. I also did air filter and spark plugs.

Front tires are pretty worn out, and when I went to rotate them, I noticed that one tire is mounted backwards!

It's got some hail damage, primarily on the hood. The grille is busted up, and the center tail light section is too. And it's got a bunch of scratches and scrapes all over it. But virtually zero rust. So I'll be watching the local junkyards in search of a good hood in color.

Going to do an oil change, and trans drain/fill/filter tomorrow. And we're planning to take it on a camping trip up to Houghton, MI next weekend!