Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump - Dual? Advice? (1987 GL, EJ22)

Hi guys,

I was rolling up one of our risky 4x4 trails with my lady when my car started to buck and have low power as I hit big bumps. At first I thought it was a loose ground (wire, not trail) but all are tight. Later it did this on hard S-bends on pavement. Both times the fuel pump was making really nasty bathroom fan noises like the bushings/bearings were bad. The sounds were irregular in occurrence and duration. Time for a new pump - or two(?).

What would you run as a new fuel pump for an EJ22 (Phase II ~ 149hp)? I want this part to be really reliable, so I had the thought to run two pumps in parallel with check valves so they would both run and if one failed way out in the back country I could still drive out. What do you think of that idea, as well as the first question? Thanks.

SK

p.s. The one that failed is from a Loyale - junk yard score.

A pump to run this:

IMG_20130616_161845.jpg

Edited by kanurys

I keep hearing (yes, just "hearsay") that the walbro...or maybe just their clones... can be really noisy.  May not matter to you one way or the other.

There is also the often-mentioned Ford truck unit that is supposeed to be common and inexpensive.

I don't think the Walbro's are worth nearly the money they sell for. They are loud. They put out WAY more volume than is needed for this application, and no more pressure than stock (which, IMO is the way to go with big power builds).

Stock replacements aren't cheap, but you know it'll fit just like stock, and have a warranty and such. That's probably what I'd do.

But, if you're willing to do some legwork to find a cheaper alternative. You can use almost any inline pump designed for fuel injection. The pressure is normal FI range (45ish psi, IIRC), and the volume requirement is actually pretty low. I got one online for an early '80s Ford Grand-squire wagon a few years ago for an EJ swap, and it worked perfectly, and only cost like $30.

IMO, redundant fuel pumps is not worth the trouble or cost. Like GLoyale said, grab a used one and carry it as a spare if you are worried.

• Like 1

Walbro 255 FTW

A single one will be fine.  Keep a used loyale pump wrapped in a bag in the trunk if you are really worried.

Yeah, that was my original plan - to replace it with a new pump and put a working junk yard one in the trunk. I think I'll go with that plan. It doesn't have to be exact fit.

I'm considering a Walbro for a budget pump, as I don't need that much volume delivery, so I guess this thread is about what brand/model you guys would go with. Consider cost, quality, reliability, etc...

Any more info on that Ford pump from the 80's? Thanks guys - I'm just caching information, here, to help me make my decision.

Edited by kanurys

My walbro in my swapped 86 is quieter than the old stock pump in my GF's swapped loyale. Hers may just be old and whiny.

I was actually thinking if trying to restrict my pump a bit. Gas mileage went down when I installed it 3~4 months ago and I'm wondering if I'm not sure if the pump is reason but the pressure runs a bit above spec?

Yeah, my Loyale pump is very noisy. I don't think your pump is the fuel economy problem. At least it's getting adequate pressure. All extra fuel should return to the tank. The fuel through the injectors and O2 should be metered fairly accurately and fuel is adjusted based on how much O2 is seen in the exhaust. If you're not running in closed-loop mode due to a CEL or something, then the pump pressure could effect the default injector map vs. actual fuel flow.

Good to know about the issue, though. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm also going to get a new fuel check valve and install it right after the pump.

FYI, I'm running a fairly new EJ Wix fuel filter in the stock EJ spot on the '87 GL.

• 1 month later...

Alright, the fuel pump has been working fine. I still have the rough running problem in rough terreign and some road situations.

I misted water around the engine bay while it was running to see if I could detect any vacuum leaks. Nope, all fine.

I'm really not sure where to look for the rough running/cut out problem.