Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I removed the running EZ30 from the donor car and need to re-seal it. It appears to leak from the corners of the valve covers and the right side of the timing chain cover. Is there a seal kit that I should get or just individual seals? Is subaruparts.com a good resource? Which sealant should I use? Where can I get info on the proper sequence to remove and torque the 50+ timing chain bolts? TIA, kent

post-37620-0-56167600-1371483146_thumb.jpg

post-37620-0-86495600-1371483190_thumb.jpg

post-37620-0-84938900-1371483209_thumb.jpg

i would look for the timing chain/case threads over on subaruoutback.org.  excellent pictures and descriptions and pictures buy a couple folks over there that have done it.

and get a factory service manual or at least the section for the timing chain cover.

there are a few orings for the timing cases and some of those 50 i think are different lengths. nutty stuff.

you sure it's leaking? i wonder i the timing cases are leaking at all...it's fairly rare and they only leak on the bottom.

i wonder the passengers side is just power steering fluid leak, that does not look like an oil leak to me.

and the drivers side could just be people dumping the 5 quart jugs all over the place and missing the oil fill tube over the past 10 years?

if you've never heard it run, then be sure to check the timing chain guides really well while it's apart, some of the early 01/02's...maybe others, have chain noise due to guides.  not a big deal but it's loud and while you're there be good to check them.

Use Anaerobic sealant on the timing chain cover. All you should need is a vavle cover gasket set, a front crankshaft seal, and a few o rings for the chain cover if there are any.

The o rings and front seal are best to get from a dealer, and should be in stock and fairly cheap.

You can use Felpro valve cover gaskets. The blue ones wok really well and their kits usually include everything you need.

I would also reseal the separator plate since it is accessible, and replace the access cover o ring on the back of the block. (Under the diamond)

The filler tube o-rings do dry out and leak with age, you can pick up one of those from the dealer as well.

you sure it's leaking? i wonder i the timing cases are leaking at all...it's fairly rare and they only leak on the bottom.

i wonder the passengers side is just power steering fluid leak, that does not look like an oil leak to me.

and the drivers side could just be people dumping the 5 quart jugs all over the place and missing the oil fill tube over the past 10 years?

if you've never heard it run, then be sure to check the timing chain guides really well while it's apart, some of the early 01/02's...maybe others, have chain noise due to guides.  not a big deal but it's loud and while you're there be good to check them.

Good point Gary, that is right where the pump was. I drove it around the block before I took it down and it has sweet engine. I could see drops at the lower corners of the cam/valve covers after running and for a few days after. Those bolts were loose also which kinda worries me. I'm sure they contributed or caused the leaks but why were they loose? I hope those holes aren't enlarged.

Use Anaerobic sealant on the timing chain cover. All you should need is a vavle cover gasket set, a front crankshaft seal, and a few o rings for the chain cover if there are any.

The o rings and front seal are best to get from a dealer, and should be in stock and fairly cheap.

You can use Felpro valve cover gaskets. The blue ones wok really well and their kits usually include everything you need.

I would also reseal the separator plate since it is accessible, and replace the access cover o ring on the back of the block. (Under the diamond)

The filler tube o-rings do dry out and leak with age, you can pick up one of those from the dealer as well.

I've got some anarobic seal left over from a Porsche rebuild that I'll use. The sealant that I see on the lower covers appears to be grey. Thanks for the tip on the other seals. Good info from a great site. Thx

The grey stuff is Fujibond(? I think). Some renamed variant of Threebond sealant, which is an excellent sealer used by most Asian auto makers and some American and European as well. Permatex Ultra grey is comparable, though not quite as good. It will work, and is cheap, but it takes a while to run a bead of sealer all the way around a cover that large. RTV will begin to dry before you get done, and you risk having little prices of the squeeze-out fall off and clog oil passages. Anaerobic is great for this kind of thing because it doesn't dry at all until you put the peices together and tighten the bolts. Gives you all the time you need to make sure you have an even smear of sealer all the way around.