Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using My A/C System As A Guinea Pig

A/C

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Humble

Mark Humble

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Lewiston Ca.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I decided since the a/c system on my 89 GL had a small leak in the compressor, I would see what would happen if I charged it with R134a without removing the old oil or doing anything to the system. So I put in the refrigerant and oil that was in the kit and started using the a/c. It has never worked better since I've owened the car. The small gasket leak is still there but has slowed down alot. Only time will tell if anything bad will happen. After talking with several A/C techs, and getting several different opinions as to what should be done to convert the system and why, I decided to see for myself what would happen if I didn't convert it properly. I don't use the a/c much and don't really care if it never works again.

Mark

#2 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Waiting to see what happens also   :popcorn:

Not too keen on the $250+ price tag to convert after I repair my system.

#3 rain_man_rich

rain_man_rich

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Which kit did you use?

#4 kanurys

kanurys

High Altitude GL

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

If it doesn't work, see how long the compressor will last without lube, setup as an air compressor for on-board air.  :)

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,966 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

I've got 2 years on the kit I got at wal-mart on my '92 Celica. I've had to recharge it every spring, but it holds through the entire summer. I might try a better recharge that has some stop-leak stuff in it this year.

It might not be the "correct" way, but it seems to work great, at least for a few years.

#6 Mark Humble

Mark Humble

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Lewiston Ca.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

The kit I used was made by Interdynamics, Inc, Model#RKR-5. It was given to me by a co-worker, he had bought it a long time ago and never used it. The box was all rotted and the cans rusty but it worked. I did see they sell refrigerant with the oil and stop leak yesterday while at the auto parts store, I may try some when the system leaks down some.

Mark

#7 rain_man_rich

rain_man_rich

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Great! That's the one I've had my eye on for a while.  I think I'll give it a go.

#8 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,927 posts
  • NH

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Just make sure to cross out the A/C lable under the hood and write R134a next to it in permanent marker. When someone down the road goes to recover the refrigerant and sucks a r134a mix into their r12 tank it will ruin their day.

#9 Mark Humble

Mark Humble

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Lewiston Ca.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well, it's been nearly a month now and the A/C is still working great. The leak in the compressor seems to have stoped and I have not had to add any refrigerant. The compressor cycles on and off as normal. Its been hot here, but not in my car.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users