Ultimate Subaru Message Board

water pump

I just had a thread not too long ago about water pumps. If you're going to go with a new pump, get a good used one or go to the dealership. When I swapped my motor, I had a brand new aftermarket pump installed, and it failed 400 miles later. Reinstalled my old pump, and it was good as new.

So try and stick with OEM, Japanese pumps. I don't know exact part numbers, sorry. Also, go with a water pump gasket from the dealership. I found the gasket from auto parts stores are a different thickness and a different material, so try and get a gasket from the dealership. Mine had cost me less than $5. 

I've got one here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/138115-ea82-loyale-1985-94-water-pump-new/?hl=%2Bwater+%2Bpump

It's boxed and in my car ready to go. Contact me at moosens at yahoo or if you like just pay same address at paypal and I'll get it out later today - if you see this soon - or tomorrow AM.

Have two good 10mm box/open wrenches for the fan and some penetrant spray and some patience. I used to have some sort of trick or little thing that helps but damned if I can remember now. I know they can be a nuisance so have a small vise-grip just incase. Oh ! , good size screwdriver to stop the fan while you manage the 10mm nuts. You'll figure it out , we all did. LOL

Studs thru pulley= 110mm shaft.

Studs on pulley, (pulley bolts to WP)= 105mm shaft (most common with turbo/xt)

either water pump will work with either setup as long as you have the right pulley. Basically the water pump you use is based on which pulley it has.

There are two holes in the water pump that can all coolant to escape past a worn bearing/seal. You should put some silicone sealant on the top hole to seal it off. Leave the lower hole open to allow drainage that can indicate when the water pump would need replacing.

I am in here with a similar question. I am having to do the timing belts on my 91 Loyale (with AC) and figured it would be a good time to replace the water pump while I can get to it. I ordered a water pump   (GMB  160-1130) and when it arrived today and I opened the box I see their notice inside the box telling me that this pump is for a non AC car and that I should be using 160-1140.  I've been working on my E82s for over 25 years and until five minutes ago I never knew there was a difference in water pumps (all my other Soobs were non-AC).

The insert indicates that the 160-1130 is 110mm and the 160-1140 is 105 mm.

I ordered this water pump on Amazon. I see that they also have the 1140 but that one says it is not compatible with my car.

So, what is the situation on those pulleys, water pumps, and the AC? I have pulleys on old parts cars but without going outside to look at them I am guessing that they will probably not work with my AC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this one.

ok another question if i was to take the ac completely off would i need a different water pump?

no. you will need a different belt. you can just go with the shorter belt that is already there. if you can find a dual pulley for the alt, you can use 2 of that same belt.

If you ditch the AC, you may have to invent some bracketry, or you would have to source an alt bracket from a model without AC. ea81 alternator brackets will work as well.

you can take up a; the ac components without discharging tha lines if that is what you are worried about.

no. you will need a different belt. you can just go with the shorter belt that is already there. if you can find a dual pulley for the alt, you can use 2 of that same belt.

If you ditch the AC, you may have to invent some bracketry, or you would have to source an alt bracket from a model without AC. ea81 alternator brackets will work as well.

you can take up a; the ac components without discharging tha lines if that is what you are worried about.

i cant just take the compressor off and leave the bracket?

You will have to put some threaded rod with nuts or similar since the compressor body joins the upper and lower brackets together. Otherwise the alternator will be 'floating' around as the upper part of the bracket only has one bolt that joins it to the top of the intake manifold.