Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi we have an 09 Outback with 185000k on it (115000miles) and the stability control light, check engine light have come on.  I know the cruise control disables itself when this happens.

Brought it to the dealer, they hooked it up to the confuser, and it told them it was the catylitic conveter.

After reading many posts here it seems that it is probably an O2 sensor.  But since I know very little I thought Id 

put it to this kind group and see what you suggest.

The real beauty of the situation is it has happened just before we are about put it on the market.  You know Murphy's law and all that!

eric

Quite often the p0420 code doesn't go away even after replacing both O2 sensors.

Lots of things can cause this code and its pretty hard to say exactly what it is without checking just about everything imaginable.

Check any vacuum hoses for splits/cracks and loose fitment.

An exhaust leak before the rear o2 sensor can cause this code. The manifold to head flange gaskets could be bad and causing this. If the exhaust pipes are very rusty up near the engine there could be a leak.

This could also be due to dirty fuel injectors, if the fuel is not burning completely to to poor vaporization.

Honestly, I would have them clear the code, and run a tank of two of premium fuel through it.

Did they not tell you what the codes were? That's kinda annoying... What fairtax said, if they said Cat it's probably code P0420.

Strange that the stability control light comes on, is this normal on the newer gens when the CEL comes on?

Like bratman said, a lot of newer vehicles the cruise or traction control systems will be disabled of the CEL is on for certain codes.

The idea is to scare people into bringing the car in to have it serviced sooner because most people don't pay much attention to just a check engine light if the engine is running fine otherwise.