Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Time Poster with questions on a potential Legacy purchase.

I'm new to this forum as well as in the market for a Subaru Legacy.  I'd like to know what you all think about the 2006 GT Wagons.  This is the one I am going to go look at today if it is still available.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=119581687&listingRecNum=0&criteria=prMx%3D16000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20041%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21378%26rd%3D30%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D20152%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

Can someone school me on this year and model?  What are its weak points at this mileage...if any?  What should I look for?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated or links to other threads discussing this model as well.  

Thanks,

-Mike

find a soob-experienced mech. or good dealer near you (someone here might suggest a shop in VA) and have a pre-purchase inspection done. With the AWD and the turbo - you definitely don't want to buy an expensive problem like 'torque bind' or leaking turbo bearing.

Even though it's a somewhat low mileage car, the time side of the maintenance schedule SHOULD have been used. 1 month equals 1000 miles.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for the information.  I'm near a couple of Subaru dealerships so that would be a possibility unless anyone has information on a reliable privately owned shop.

Dealership probably isn't going to be interested in doing a real pre-purchase inspection because they would rather sell you a car themself.

There shouldn't really be anything wrong with the car at that mileage.

But, You'll want to check the bottom rear corners of the head gaskets for seepage. The turbo motors are less prone to head gasket problems but it cna still be an issue.

Make sure all 4 tires are the same size and brand, and have even tread wear. If the front tires are brand new and the rear tires are worn more than 3/32" then it will be a candidate for torque bind. You should take it for a drive of about 20-25 minutes, then drive around in a parking lot and make slow tight circles in each direction to check for signs of binding.

Also read up on "Ghost walk", and the steps necessary to prevent that issue. It's common on all 05-08 wagons and can be remedied with some changes in rear suspension geometry.