Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2010 legacy i purchased new. it has 38k on it and i already need a 3rd set of tires. HELP! i dont have a lot of money but what am i doing wrong here? the tires that came on the car were toast after 10k. i got what i was told was a good set of General tires and they are like mr. clean's head after 28k.

• Like 1

It is under warranty (or should be) take it in and have them go through it completely... If "nothing" found, take it to another shop and have them check it out...

Long story short my parents Hyundai ate its brand new tires in 20K from them buying it new, they bought new ones, 21k later they were bad... we had heard a humming sound the whole time and the dealership told us it was nothing, took it to another shop, they replaced horrific wheel bearings in the rear where it was wearing down (FWD vehicle so the wear was really unusual on the rear)

Cost almost 1000 to have it done plus the 900 in tires... sent the repair into Hyundai and said WTF... Got a check for 1900 and 25% off our next 5 services...

Lesson... definitely have it checked out by the dealer or another shop, something is rubbing/out of alignment/loose or broken etc..

or you like roasting all four tires :P

Factory tires are usually crap, and wear out in 10-15k miles.

The trick is to do your own research on good brands and models of tires that will last longer, and not let a dealer just sell you what they have in stock. Dealers well what will bring them repeat customers, so they make more money. They don't call them "stealerships" for no reason.

Tirerack.com is a great place to start looking for new tires that will give you longer tread life.

Is there any unique wear pattern across the tire tread, such worn more on one side, more so in the middle, or on the edges?  Wear patterns can tell you a lot of what may need to be corrected on the car before new tires are installed. Have the wheel alignment checked, and corrected if needed.

Pay the extra for tires that are rated to give high millage, such as Michelin or Yokohama. The "extra" is not that much more then what you would pay for an average quality tire.

My last tire buying experience............I bought 4 Yokohama AVID TRZ tires rated to last 80K miles two years ago. I don't drive the car hard, or put on many miles, however, after about 15K miles of driving,  the tread on the tires still looks like new.

I have always felt like I have gotten the best deal, and service when buying tires from a locally owned tire store. Prices seem a little better, and service a lot better. IMO, The big chains like Goodyear, Firestone, and Sears Tire Department, etc.,  seem to be structured to extract maximum profit from each customer to keep their company stock owners happy.

Lets address the elephant in the room.  How do you drive, what type of roads do you travel, do you keep a check on the tire pressures, regular rotations?  These are the life of the tires.  I don't care what kind of tires you end up buying this time, If its driving/ maintanence habits that are causing the tires to wear down abnormally then the replacement are going to do the same thing.

Lets address the elephant in the room.  How do you drive, what type of roads do you travel, do you keep a check on the tire pressures, regular rotations?  These are the life of the tires.  I don't care what kind of tires you end up buying this time, If its driving/ maintanence habits that are causing the tires to wear down abnormally then the replacement are going to do the same thing.

+1 on the above. Proper maintenance is so important to the life of any tire. If you take care of your tires, they will take care of you.

thank you to all. I am very good with tire pressure maintenance. i do admit my traveling areas in North NJ are not always ideal and i am a little heavy on the pedal at times but that has always been the case and i have never gone through tires at even close to this rate.

the tire wear is mainly concentrated to the sides of the tires but wear is even on bothe sides of the car. the middles are worn too just slightly less.

I am thinking bottom line, you get what you pay for. This case just seems to be extreme.

thank you to all. I am very good with tire pressure maintenance. i do admit my traveling areas in North NJ are not always ideal and i am a little heavy on the pedal at times but that has always been the case and i have never gone through tires at even close to this rate.

the tire wear is mainly concentrated to the sides of the tires but wear is even on bothe sides of the car. the middles are worn too just slightly less.

Screams underinflated to me - especially if the wear is even on both sides of the individual tires.

I do not go by the infaltion rates posted on the door plate - I look at the tire itself - it will give a maximum cold inflation value - whatever that value is, subtract 5 or 6 psi* and inflate to that value when the tires are cold.

* for standard passenger car tires - for our pickup with high weight rating tires I can run as much as 15-20 psi below max value and not worry about them wearing funny.

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1

I like toyo, they have good grab in the winter, they still last quite a while, and they aren't that expensive compared to other tires.

Proper tire inflation is important, I usually run a few psi above the recommended psi since it seems to not be enough.

Recommended tire inflation rates are calibrated to give a soft cushy ride, but at the expense of higher tire wear, and slightly lower gas millage. On my 99 OBW, I run 35 psi at all four corners. It stiffens the ride, and improves the handling, at the slight expense of a rougher ride.

I like to run 40 psi in 44 psi max tires.

Follow the 10 percent rule. If max pressure is 44 psi, 10% of that is 4.4, subtract that from 44 and you have 39.5.

Look at your tires sidewalls. Common knowledge is to fill to 32 psi. If the tire says 35 psi maz, subtract 3.5 and what do you get? 31.5 (32)

• Like 2