Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise When Turning Left

I have an 88 GL Wagon, 5spd DR. It makes a very loud rumbling noise that starts at about 25mph and increases in volume with speed. It gets much louder during left turns at higher speeds, and gets quieter or totally silent during right turns. I ordered new wheel bearings, but I'd like to know if I'm likely to need any other parts before I start tearing the hubs off my daily driver. Any input would be appreciated :)

Well, in my post: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/139013-neds-massive-repair-with-questions/

I experienced needing new tie-rods when I had mine apart...

Hows your bank account? Id definitely plan on doing the wheel bearings, 6207 2RS C3 bearings are a great deal if you don't wanna get messy with grease (youll want a little bit anyway though, makes axle slide easier.

With the noise, Id replace wear items... ball joint, wheel bearings, axle nut and cone washer, feel your tie-rod next time you have a chance, if it feels loose, replace it.

As for materials, youll want some kind of grease/lubricant, itll make it a lot easier to slide the axle in the hub, make sure to clean all your surfaces before applying grease. Youll need new seals, inner and outer, perhaps not if you go with sealed bearings but I put mine in there because I figured it couldn't hurt.

Check your brakes too, don't want those to fail...

Use antiseize lubricant for putting things back together, I use it on the threads of bolts, of the tie-rod, on the inside of the hub that connects to the strut, as well as the strut...

Edited by 92_rugby_subie

Sounds to me like you have a wheel bearing issue on the right side (think about the transfer of load to that side while cornering) In regards to the bearings them selfs i +1 on sealed bearings, make sure you get a Good brand like Timken SKF, or FAG. These are industrial Bearings and require no Seals (if you order them sealed that is), so i personally wouldn't bother with getting new seals.  Furthermore keep in mind that these are press in press out bearings, so unless you have a press at home you may need a machine shop to install them, (or a couple Sockets, and a Drift) i'll advise against that method as you need to get them in there straight, but it can be done.  since you will be removing the knuckle for this job its best to evaluate the remaining components that Rugby stated in addition to the axle assembly as well (commonly referred to as CV Joints).  Thats my 2 cents hope it helps

• 1 month later...

Well, I replaced the passenger-side wheel bearings with FAG-brand sealed units. It cut the amount of total noise the car makes when driving somewhat, and completely eliminted the rattling I heard from that side when I drove with the windows down. Definitely a worthwhile job to do. I did discover while I was in there that the tie rod end and ball joint boots are both cracked, so I am going to need to replace them sometime soon.

However, the main noise I was experiencing (that disappears when turning right and gets louder when turning left) did not improve at all. Is it possible that this is from the drivers side wheel bearings, or could it be something else? The drivers side tire is wearing slightly more on the outside than the inside, which makes me think it is a tie rod issue. If you guys could help me shed some light on the issue that would be fantastic. Thanks again for everyone's help and knowledge! :)

the tire is wearing more on the outside edge?.. jack up that side and shake the tire. I bet its the drivers side. especially if it gets louder on left turns, all the weight goes to the drivers side. Also if the bearings are that bad, the tire will  camber out on left turns causing wear on the outside of the tire

I went through the same thing I thought it was the passenger side so I replaced it... turns out it was the drivers side. its something to do with the double bearings in the knuckles. 

Also check the hub on the drivers side, it may be the culprit. if the axle nut is loose, or the flat washer is gone it will strip the hub and make noises and tire wear like you describe. make sure the cone washer is in good shape and the hub splines are straight and even.

there is some shop here in AK that has been doing axles replacements on subarus and completely screwing things up. i got a loyale with 2 brand new axles and both front axle nuts were loose. and one was missing the flat washer..

Edited by AKghandi