Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

83 brat is lifting excessively when accelerating

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mike83bratgl

mike83bratgl

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • salem oregon

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Well as the picture shows i rolled it. got some front end damage when i hit the concrete divider. drove it home. but any thing above 40 the front wheels would howl. when i looked at them the driver side was not aligned with the passenger side. bit of adjusting the steering arm fixed that. but now the front end is rising alot under acceleration to the point im spinning tires. didnt happen before i rolled it.nothing visually seems wrong from what i can tell. any pointers or advice would be much appreciated. stock healthy ea81 d/l 5speed 83 gl brat. thanks for reading.

Attached Files

#2 SkankinPickle

SkankinPickle

Eat, Live, Breath Fuji

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

If the front wheels are "towed-in" heavily it might be causing the wheels to drive towards each other and thus lift the front end till the camber is so bad the drive wheel peels out...

There are some threads about DIY at home alignments here somewhere.

#3 mike83bratgl

mike83bratgl

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • salem oregon

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

hmm good info never really thought about that.ive been trying to find a broken mount. thanks ill check it out a bit more.

#4 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

http://www.ultimates...2/#entry1144913

here ya go. also, ive recently had a broken mount where the strut attaches to the knuckle. twice in a year now, i need to be nicer to my stuff.

#5 mike83bratgl

mike83bratgl

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • salem oregon

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

alright so first reply nailed 75% of my issue. a few u tube videos and some of the wonderful info i found on this site got both wheels spinning again insted of the wild walking from side to side. even tho it was quite fun to drive that way its much safer getting out in traffic in the middle of town now. i believe i still have something bent. not finding anything but a little sloppy wheel bearing but i had way worse with decant handling still. so the hunt continues! Thank a million guys i saved 75-100 bucks in 20 mins insted of having an alignment shop tell me its too bent which i already know.

#6 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

your radius rod is probably bent. i bent one and thought it was normal...til i saw a straight one

#7 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

That actually sounds pretty fun/funny. =P

Good luck hunting the problem down though.

#8 mike83bratgl

mike83bratgl

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • salem oregon

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

The front wheels had way too much tow in. Found I had about a half inch difference in the front vs rear spacing between the tires. Thanks I've now learned how alignment works. I also had loose/missing motor mount bolts. I later noticed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users