Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 SPFI to EA81 trike help!

Been a while since I've been on here.  Got my Tweety trike in Oz. with eA81 and a sC12 Toyota supercharger with a VW auto 3 speed transmission.

For poor economy reasons have decided to convert the EA81 to EA82 SPFI, a common conversion in the USA I see but not so here down under because we didnt get SPFI here. Also the converison might have a few extra issues bacause it isnt a Brat or Leone in that the wiring loom isnt Subaru.

The SPFI kit containing its components form the States includes the loom, manifold, ECU, dizzy with eA81 driver gear and TB.  However the following pictures are of a unit I believe to be the MAF sensor on the snorkel with 3 pins. I dont have a loom section for this unit.  I've seen on some pictures on the web that the wires go straight into the Subaru loom near the guard eg they dont go into the loom at the rear of the TB.

Can you guys tell me how it is hooked up to the ECU or where the connections go?

Thanks in advance for any replied and pictures if possible.

IMG_0001-20.jpg

IMG_0002-22.jpg

IMG_0003-20.jpg

H8320001.jpg

A vacuum solenoid... IIRC (I am tired, and my memory of details is suspect), there are 2 on a USDM SPFI:  One for fuel-vapor-canister purge, and one for the EGR valve.  I think ours don't look like that, as they are slightly different shape and more plastic-y.  (That may be just the angle/perspective of the picture.)

thanks Northwet.  The two solonoids you refer to for the purge and the EGr are in the kit and will be discarded and replaced with resisters (read that from General Disorder on this site).  My feeling is that this one is off another car. Either way it doesnt seem to fit any electrical connectors.

Edited by tweety

thanks Northwet.  The two solonoids you refer to for the purge and the EGr are in the kit and will be discarded and replaced with resisters (read that from General Disorder on this site).  My feeling is that this one is off another car. Either way it doesnt seem to fit any electrical connectors.

None of the SPFI swaps I have done needed that part.

Edited by Crazyeights

Bratrod.  Here in Oz I have a few mates into Subaru's and one has been very helpful and lives nearby.  I think he'll get the engien for storage to use between us as needed.  The supercharger I'm undecided about. I will put on a new thread on the SC conversion as I think it is worth it for others to read. The pro's and the con's.

• Like 1

Bratrod.  Here in Oz I have a few mates into Subaru's and one has been very helpful and lives nearby.  I think he'll get the engien for storage to use between us as needed.  The supercharger I'm undecided about. I will put on a new thread on the SC conversion as I think it is worth it for others to read. The pro's and the con's.

I would really like to read the details on this. Thank You.

Alright, thanks for the response.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:  Am redy for the install of the SPFI now.  Tackled some hurdles as I dont owna brat/brumby/leone etc so some things are different eg the ECU can go under the dashboard lol.  there is no dashboard!  So it is going to be mounted udner the body on an angle so I can see the ECU light.

Got the O2sensor installed, the fuel filter in location, fuel lines ready and ECU warning light ready on the instrument cluster.

Installation on 3rd August.

IMG_0006-15.jpg

IMG_0005-17.jpg

Fuel pump- new

IMG_0032-3.jpg

ECU waterproof cover bag.

IMG_0034.jpg

ECU mount. Also relays for fuel pump etc to be housed here.

IMG_0033-2.jpg

Less than a week to SPFI install.  Have been using my moutned spare EA81 as a mock up for the conversion.  Have turned the air filter top body 90 degrees so it points towards the frotn of the trike.  re- routed valve cover hoses.  Top radiator hose to go over the manifold.

The plan is to re-time the engine to 20 degrees, palce the rotor on No1 cylinder then do the install. any other ideas?

IMG_0005-18.jpg

IMG_0004-17.jpg

IMG_0003-23.jpg

IMG_0001-22.jpg

Edited by tweety