Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 4spd trans teardown - help

I know this is to be in the older forum, which it is.  I thought I would hit you guys up as well cause I need to get this gear off.

I am in the process of rebuilding my trans and I cannot seem to get the 4WD pinion shaft gear off of the trans.  There is a gear with a lock/castle not on the shaft and I cannot get it to budge.  Can any of you please tell me how to get this off?

post-34202-0-70558100-1372083187_thumb.jpg

post-34202-0-01938200-1372083194_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the responses.  I have already punched the stakes back and tried my best to get the nut off.

Ivan - I cannot separate the case as this middle protion of the trany has to be removed.  If you look at the EA71 4sp with 4WD there are three separate parts. 

1. Main transmission housing with diff.

2. Secondary that houses the gear for the transition to the rear.

3. Rear that supports output shaft to driveshaft.

I have the rear off but this nut is the issue to get the secondary portion off.  I cannot split the case until I get the secondary part off.

What I need to know is how to get the nut off.  The shaft itself has a cross cut into it and then the nut has the stakes.  If you use a 26mm socket you can get to the nut but how do you prevent the shaft from spinning.  Is the socket the way to do it?

Or do you use that cross and a special tool?

This is where I am stuck.  Do I just get a socket and throw some air at it and pray I don't snap a pinion tooth?

FSM uses a special tool to hold the mainshaft while undoing that nut,so pinion teeth should be OK.

I can`t see the forces involved being any greater than while driving.

Prayers wouldn`t hurt.

May I ask how to acquire a copy of an FSM from you?  If not, I understand.

Are the threads reverse by chance?

Are you saying go for the socket and impact idea then?

Thanks.

I don`t have an extra.

Plenty on ebay though.Exact year is probably unimportant.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-SUBARU-1600-1800-DL-GL-GLF-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL-SHOP-OEM-REPAIR-/360681623446?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53fa4ccf96&vxp=mtr#ht_1179wt_1170

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-SUBARU-1600-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL-USED-ITEM-/251293000742?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item3a823ae426&vxp=mtr#ht_151wt_932

No mention of reverse threads.

I would use an impact.I have not done this repair myself.

Hopefully someone w/hands on experience will pipe up soon.

Edited by naru

Well,  I could not locate a 26mm socket so I tried a 27mm one instead.  Fit was a little loose but it was better than nothing.

I brought out the 1/2" impact and had at it with no luck?!  I put screwdrivers in the output stubs to stop it from rotating.  There was enough torque that the screwdrivers almost snapped!!!

And I cannot get the damn nut off.........

Any one know what to do for this nut?