Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

85 Brat Starter Grinding/Whining 5-speed swap

stater 5-speed 5speed brat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CWP8

CWP8

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • westminster

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

I just finished putting in a 5-speed for my brat. I go to start it and it starts imidiately but then wants to die. It sounds like something is hanging up, I think it is the starter but I don't know for sure . The transmission is in nuetral. Are the starter motors for the four speed and five speed different? or does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 capn_r

capn_r

Pseudo Soob Noob

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Morton WA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

Put flat washers between the transaxle and starter to slightly space the starter back so the drive gear clears the flywheel gear. I don't know what to tell you on the engine wanting to die.

#3 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

Fully retarded and low on compression

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

i had the same problem when i swapped to the 5spd....and spaced the starter out with as large diameter washers as i could fit......if the engine is cold and trying to drag the starter along with it, it will want to die and not idle

#4 CWP8

CWP8

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • westminster

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for your help guys, it worked great. My brat runs better than it ever did. Thanks again

#5 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Good. I made notes when I did mine. Used 4.0mm thick aluminium plate to make a ringed spacer, rather than just washers. Emphasis on this post is the 4.0mm

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,888 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Did you use the EA82 flywheel?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stater, 5-speed, 5speed, brat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users