Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 legacy 2.5 i vs 2007 imprezza

I have a 2007 imprezza sedan. It's pretty good and meets all our rquirements except that it's a little small and I'd like to upgrade. I'm looking at a 2010 legacy 2.5 I with 35k miles. Can anyone tell me if the legacy will be a very noticeable upgrade? I know its the first year for that look, so are there any major issues fixed in the later years (2011+)?

Also, what can I expect to sell my imprezza for either at dealer or privately? The legacy is goign for $14k before taxes. I'd like to pay < $5k total for the upgrade, but not sure how realistic that is.

Check KBB.com and NADA.com to get an idea of trade-in and private party sale values.

Honestly 14k sounds a little too good to be true for a 2010 legacy. Check the CarFax and have it checked out by a competent shop before buying.

No major mechanical issues with the 2010 as far as I know. The engine and transmission had both been in production for several years prior. The only thig really "new" on the 2010 is the way it looks. And they did upgrade the rear suspension from the previous model that had the weird "ghost walk" issues.

If its in good shape (no rust, no accident damage), then it should be a good buy, but get it checked out first.

private sale has the best opportunity for maximizing what you get for it, but a lot of folks in that price range want to go through a dealer, so you could set a time frame like two months trying to sell and see how much interest it gets...but if you're already eying another vehicle you're probably wanting to move quick so you'll have to go get hosed at a dealer.

small - in what way?  if it's seating and yo'ure talking a legacy sedan, then i consider it a small upgrade, but i'm not that picky.  if it's utilitarian/cargo space and you're looking at a wagon, then it's a huge upgrade and worth it if you need it.  if you travel, hobbies, gear, stuff, kids, pets...the wagons are fantastic.

There is one large mechanical benefit: 2010 Legacy gets the updated MLS headgasket so there should be far less chance of headgasket failure in that than the impreza (a $1,500+ repair at Subaru).

But spending $5,000 more to save $1,500 doesn't make financial sense so not a big deal really, but put that on your PRO'S list if you're really itching for some excuses to buy.

$14k does sound really cheap for a 2010.  they're usually like $3k - $5k more than that here with 30,000 miles.

if you have any inclination to hold the impreza, get two more years out of it and look to get into the better (hopefully) FB engine, which i think started in the 2012 legacys.  no timing belt maintenance or headgasket issues. though they are new and not entirely "proven" yet either.  but i'm weird i buy stuff and want 300,000 reliable and easy miles out of it, so i'm picky.