Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing bad dual range with a single range 4x4 or FWD trans?

Some of you know the Ski Team Wagon story till this point. The 1983 dual range 4x4 in it has locked up in third gear. The new part is, my wife and I are moving to California and in the time I have to pack and get ready, I'm just not feeling up to tackling all that is necessary to put the dual range 5 speed in that is sitting in the garage right now. So I'm hoping to get this mobile quickly and easily.

Tom put a new clutch etc. in there so everything should be good to go after the trans swap.

I found a yard that has a 2wd trans for $50. and a single range 4x4 trans for $65. All things being equal, I'd go with the single range. The single range came out of an 84 and I think there's an option for an 82 or an 84 2wd.

What sort of modification would I need to put any of these transmissions in? The 2wd and 4wd clutches are different right? Obviously the drive shaft would have to ride in the trunk for a while.

So if I buy the single range, will it bolt right in? or is there more to it?

Really just hoping that I can spend $65. and an afternoon on this and drive. Even if the 4wd doesn't work, I'd love for this car to move on it's own power.

California should have more parts sources for early 80s cars so I can take my time getting the things I need for the 5 speed swap.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

My issue isn't the wrenching time. It's the time and money wrapped up in sourcing flywheel, drive shaft, cross member, clutch etc. Then modifying the shifters to fit the body. If I can slap a $65. trans in there and go, I will be thrilled and have plenty of time to gather the necessary parts.

I have all of these parts. flywheel, driveshaft, pushbutton 4wd trans. Use them or i will have to junk them. the flywheel will need to be resurfaced as it is rusty. you will have to grind away the back of the bellhousing on the engine for the ea82 flywheel to fit. You will have to fabricate a mount for the carrier bearing in the driveshaft, or you will have to shorten your original driveshaft.

My trans does not have a shifter, but the rest of it is there. Take it for whatever it's worth to you.

I also have a FWD 5spd trans, but i parted off the shifter. that would save you the trouble of driveshafts.

Edited by MilesFox

if you're installing the dual range later anyway then it hardly matters maybe. cheap, close, simpler, lighter....whatever you're feeling a particular day.

you could skip the carrier bearing/driveshaft stuff - if you can make something to hold the fluid in you can install a 4WD trans and just run it with the diff locked and run it as FWD until you get around to finishing or installing the dual range.

• Like 2

Fox, I may take you up on that. I have an EA82 dual range. Do you have a clutch set to go with that? I'll need an EA82 4wd clutch to put a 5 speed in right?

Any answer on the original question? Is there anything besides pulling the dual range and bolting in a single range? (EA81 That is)

Edited by AdventureSubaru

Any answer on the original question? Is there anything besides pulling the dual range and bolting in a single range? (EA81 That is)

i would think it would be a dirrect fit because the holes are the the same in the floor and it will bolt right in with the motor, only thing im not about is the clutch it's probably the same but im not sure.

if you're installing the dual range later anyway then it hardly matters maybe. cheap, close, simpler, lighter....whatever you're feeling a particular day.

you could skip the carrier bearing/driveshaft stuff - if you can make something to hold the fluid in you can install a 4WD trans and just run it with the diff locked and run it as FWD until you get around to finishing or installing the dual range.

I drove my swap for over a month with a cut off yoke "coat hangered" in to the rear of the dual range. It kept the fluid in while I had a new drive-shaft made. It works great, just be reasonably careful.

• Like 1

Easiest would be to drop in the single range 4 speed, it'll bolt straight in from what I know.

I drove my swap for over a month with a cut off yoke "coat hangered" in to the rear of the dual range. It kept the fluid in while I had a new drive-shaft made. It works great, just be reasonably careful.

That would work, just make sure you don't slip it into 4wd ;)

Cheers

​Bennie

answer to the original question,

dual range and single range 4wd 4 speeds are exactly the same

clutch, mounts, driveshaft, shifter etc will bolt straight in

should be same on all ea81/gen2 body (about 81 to 84 - later on brat and hatch)

If this came from an 84 I would think the tunnel would be the same on an 83 right? Or is the yard mixed up somehow? Was there a single range 4x4 for EA81 cars or did they get the year of the car wrong and it's an EA82 or maybe an 84 with an EA82 single range in it?

yes there was single range transmissions for ea81's they where in most dl models and some early 2nd gens had them before 81 when they came out with the dual range which all the gl's came with. Edited by turbosubarubrat

Music to my ears. If it all checks out, I'm going to proceed with the single range and slap it in there so this can be driven by a friend while we're moving and getting settled. I'm still planning on the dual range going in there though.

Fox - I still have that 14 inch rim and tire for you if you want it. Cash is tight, but I can offer a little. Or, if there's any stuff you'd want in trade for it, we're selling a lot of our belongings prior to the move since we'll have a much smaller space in California. PM me if there's anything you'd be looking for.

The single range is in.  :banana:  The yard as usual drained out the gear oil. I have 2 quarts of 85W-140 left from my Toyota. Am I silly if I try to put that in there?

Seems 75W-90 or 80W-90 seems the most recommended. Just didn't know if this stuff would work or not. Always better to use what I already have if possible. If not, it's not that expensive to get some new stuff.