Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

89 D/R Ej22 swap

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Moved post to member rides.

Edited by snofool, 02 September 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#2 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,393 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

Do a full tune up and drive the leqacy before you pull its engine out by its roots That way its alot easier to diagnose problems relating to the swap.Its nice to know that the engine was working perfectly BEFORE the swap,because when you install the harness one wire wont get connected in the the final stages and it wont run right if at all..

And if its all the same to you it can be kinda fun stripping down a harness by yourself.My first EJ swap I paid a member on here to strip it down.The next harness I stripped down after reading up on it.Although for a first timer it is more convenient to send the harness to somebody and get it back stripped down with labels on all the wires as to where they go.If however you want to try it on your own myself as well other members could walk you through the process.

If you decide to strip the harness by yourself get ahold of me before you pull it from the car and I can give you some pointers that will make the process easier.

I am not trying to take business from Scott,Scott is a great guy who is honest and does good work. I am just telling you there are other options

Edited by Uberoo, 25 June 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#3 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

What's wrong with the legacy that makes it a donor car? Looks like it's in good shape body-wise.

If the legacy seats are good, you could swap them in. I think a few people on the board have done this.

#4 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,393 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

The legacy is a Fail Wheel Drive autotragic in colorado, DUR! :)

#5 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Ha! I like that!  All the 5 spd 4wds were haggard or had like 200,000 plus miles on them. Not to mention fwd is cheaper! I got some good doner seats and a great donor motor(I hope). If anyone has a link to an article about the seats let me know.

#6 mr sarcastic

mr sarcastic

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

I second that you should tune up the donor car before you rip the engine out. Take this opportunity to get the engine running well!

#7 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,393 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Ha! I like that!  All the 5 spd 4wds were haggard or had like 200,000 plus miles on them. Not to mention fwd is cheaper! I got some good doner seats and a great donor motor(I hope). If anyone has a link to an article about the seats let me know.

when I go to the junkyard and I need drivetrain parts I get them from autotragics or wrecked cars.There is a good chance that a bad automatic put the car in the junkyard and thus the engine is still good.Same with wrecked cars because my theory was that the car was running well enough to at least get into an accident.

#8 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Took the legacy to my mechanic to do a overall systems check. It drove there flawlessly and with the a/c cranked the whole way! Too bad it's r12 still. Even if it's colder I want to try and keep the a/c if possible. So I might just convert it over to 134 and try to salvage all the pieces. I was taking a look at the seats as well. Looks like it will be easy enough to swap.  cheers!

#9 Carl B.

Carl B.

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'm willing to lend a hand and what little tools I have.  I just started my 1st ej swap too.  You near Boulder?

#10 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

member rides

Edited by snofool, 02 September 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#11 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

sjr adapter and flywheel are on their way! Most all the prts needed for five lug swap! thanks upap aroura, 320 bones!!!!

Edited by snofool, 19 July 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#12 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

moved post to member rides

Edited by snofool, 02 September 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#13 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

Moved post to member rides

Edited by snofool, 02 September 2013 - 10:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users