Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 sp swap into 84 wagon

I got the 5sp tranny mounted up to the motor and the clutch won't disengage. I went with the ea81 flywheel and pressure plate and the ea82 clutch. I went this route because I wasn't ready to grind on the bell housing yet in order to fit the ea82 flywheel and pressure plate. In the old usrm it said this was a viable option. The clutch cable is tightened a far as it will go. Any thoughts? On a side note, how do I hook up the hill holder?

Also, it won't start now. I haven't hooked the exhaust back up yet because I want to make sure everything else is working fine before I put it all back together. Is this why it won't start? I should also mention it is cranking well, just not starting.

On a third note, the back up lights won't turn on. When I test them, they work fine. When connected to the tranny and shift into reverse, nothing. Can they be wired backwards? I thought I read on here it doesn't matter.

Any and all help appreciated.

I got the 5sp tranny mounted up to the motor and the clutch won't disengage. I went with the ea81 flywheel and pressure plate and the ea82 clutch. I went this route because I wasn't ready to grind on the bell housing yet in order to fit the ea82 flywheel and pressure plate. In the old usrm it said this was a viable option. The clutch cable is tightened a far as it will go. Any thoughts?

The short answer is that the throwout bearing is probably the wrong one for this clutch combo. You have a couple of options. First simply lengthen the threaded rod section of the clutch cable to give you just a little more adjustment room. This can actually work. Second, the correct way would be to just pull the engine forward and install the T/O bearing that works with this combo (Nissan 720 pickup?). Also, make sure you used the 6 spring style EA82 disc as the 4 spring version may not clear the center hole in the EA82 pressure plate. This would also create a binding or no release situation.

Edited by Crazyeights

The short answer is that the throwout bearing is probably the wrong one for this clutch combo. You have a couple of options. First simply lengthen the threaded rod section of the clutch cable to give you just a little more adjustment room. This can actually work. Second, the correct way would be to just pull the engine forward and install the T/O bearing that works with this combo (Nissan 720 pickup?). Also, make sure you used the 6 spring style EA82 disc as the 4 spring version may not clear the center hole in the EA82 pressure plate. This would also create a binding or no release situation.

Has anyone else had to change the throw out bearing to something other than the ea82 or ea81? Is it possible this flywheel, clutch, pressure plate combo don't work? Has anyone else run this setup?

Well the clutch was a four spring and didn't sit flush in the pressure plate. Got a new one that fits, new pilot bearing and new throw out bearing. Going to install this afternoon. We'll see if that works. Thanks for the hint on the four spring clutch disc.

As for the no start condition: when I removed the transmission, the engine tilted forward from lack of weight on the back. When it did that, it pulled some vacuum fittings loose that I didn't notice. Once I get everything back together, we'll see if that's the answer to this problem.

Reverse light I am hoping is just a bad sensor. Never thought to test before pulling donor transmission.