Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I'm new and would like some info on a Clock Spring for 2001 Forester?

Hello, I'm new to this forum. 

I would like to know if someone out there can help me with some info?

I am a owner of a 2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl ) Manual.

My horn, cruse control, went out and my airbag light stays on. I was told by a car mechanic that

my Clock Spring is out and that i need to replace it. I went to the dealer in my city and said perhaps it is and that it will cost

me over $500 to replace. The mechanic whom I first spoke with said, he could replace it but, couldn't

guaranteed the work if I bought it from a junk yard and it fails. The dealer said, I needed to go to them so they

could install it and would guaranteed it.

I know that I can replace it myself.... my question is, If I was to buy a used Clock Spring off another 2001 Forester,

would it work? Can this item be interchangeable with another from a different car with the same year?

Do the serial numbers have to match? If I do buy a used Clock Spring does this have to be reset by the dealer only?

Both mechanic and the dealer want the job and I feel that a fear tactic is how they get you. 

I have seen people post that its easy to replace yourself and using a Clock Spring off another Forester is no problem.

I just can get a straight answer from other car people. 

Any Info would be appreciated. 

THANK YOU!!!

Welcome to the USMB!

There should be no issue with you using a clock spring off another Forester.  There is no matching with serial numbers or any of that.  If want to buy a new one, I'd suggest getting it from one of the online subaru dealers.  They are SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than local dealers.  Here a couple:  www.subarugenuineparts.com www.subaruparts.com www.1stsubaruparts.com

The one thing I would caution you about though is the airbag.  Make sure to disconnect the battery and leave the car sit with the door open or something for a few minutes to completely discharge the electrical system.  That way there's no chance of the airbag accidently going off.

You may have to have the dealer reset the airbag computer so the light goes off, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I'm going to move your thread to the New gen forum as it will get more traffic there and additional replies.

Forester User,

Legacy777 is right on the money here. Any clockspring from the same generation Forester should work in your car, and if you have any mechanical aptitude at all, the job is a DIYer. Be sure to disconnect the battery and WAIT 20 minutes to allow for the bleed down of the stored electrical charge, so the air bag doesn't go off in your face. They can kill you if you are too close when they go off.

On a car the age of yours, used is the way to go. Take pictures if you have any doubts as to how thingsshould go back together. Good Luck!

As previously stated, you can order the clock spring assembly from an online dealer and get it at a much lower price.

You can install it yourself no problem but you will need to rent or borrow a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel. Most auto parts stores rent these for a small cost which is refunded when the puller is returned.

i replaced the clock spring in my 97 GT legacy with one from a 96 legacy L.

it was pretty easy to do.

one connector is a little challenging but if you take your time you can get it.

the steering wheel puller is nice but i did not need it.

loosen the nut that holds it on, but do not remove it.

then you bang up on it with both hands from the under side until it pops loose.

then remove the nut and the steering wheel.

one thing to note when reinstalling:

if you do not ''lock'' the ABS connector it will throw a code.

plug it in untill it clicks, and then snap the lock.