Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weird tick

Hello guys. so i have been trying to figure out what this ticking in in the loyale maybe someone here has an idea.

When the car in parked and in idle and i then rev the engine it sounds good and normal no tick but then while driving anytime that i am really on the gas there is a really fast tick tick and it goes away when i stay on the gas but just i bit softer then while ticking.   I am stumped please help if you can i would like to fix it.

You really need to determine if the sound is engine related or coming from some other component.

Does it change if you are turning left vs going straight vs turning right?

If you only hear it when the car is moving, it's probably a drive train component and not the engine.

I had a sound I couldnt figure out one time, and I took the car to a garage that had a device they called a "Chassis ear".

Not sure if thats what it's really called or not, but its pretty cool. They attach wireless sensors to different parts of the chassis

and take it for a road test. A technician in the car has a receiver with headphones, and he can select each sensor individually

to determine what area the sound is coming from. Once they isolate the area, they then move all of the sensors to that area

and do it again, pinpointing the sound even further.

I had a sound I couldnt figure out one time, and I took the car to a garage that had a device they called a "Chassis ear".

Not sure if thats what it's really called or not, but its pretty cool. They attach wireless sensors to different parts of the chassis

and take it for a road test. A technician in the car has a receiver with headphones, and he can select each sensor individually

to determine what area the sound is coming from. Once they isolate the area, they then move all of the sensors to that area

and do it again, pinpointing the sound even further.

The cheap version is a long screw driver, put the tip on the spot where you think the noise is and put your ear up to the handle, that an easy way to pinpoint the sound.

The cheap version is a long screw driver, put the tip on the spot where you think the noise is and put your ear up to the handle, that an easy way to pinpoint the sound.

That would be fun to try and do while taking it for a test drive =P

That would be fun to try and do while taking it for a test drive =P

Oops lol, ya that would take a really looooong screwdriver. This is a good way to find a sound on the engine while its running though. Edited by mikaleda

The sound is only there when the car is moving and when i am really stepping on the gas. then when i let of the gas just a small amout at any speed it will go away...i can rev the car all i was in neutral and there is no tick at all. there are no knocks or anything.

really sounds to me like you need to use better gas and have your timing checked out. when was the last time you had it tuned up? read the posts above and answer our questions. we're trying to help but we can't do that without you helping us to help you.

• Like 1