Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any tips? I need to replace my Brat Tranny!

I have a 1985 Brat, 120,xxx miles. The 3 speed Auto Tranny is slipping bad on the 2nd to 3rd shift. I have another 3 speed tranny to put in it. I am told that it is good, sure hope so!

I would REALLY appreciate any tips as to the order of removing and replacing tranny. Should I remove engine and radiator?

I have been wanting to replace the auto with a hi/lo manual preferably a 5 speed, but financially, I cannot make that happen. I think I am gonna replace this auto tranny and the motor / tranny mounts and sell my Brat. I just do not like owning a 3 speed auto Brat!

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks again,

Tony P

Monroe, NC

It's all pretty straightforward. I pull them from underneath, but you can take the engine and trans out as a unit. Here's a borrowed write up and a few tips.

1. Put vehicle on Jackstands

2. drop exhaust

3. remove center consoles/shifter knobs, etc

4. remove bolts holding tranny to bell housing

5. remove sway bar

6. Remove roll pins. pull axles off stubs (You may need to wiggle the trans backward to do this.)

7. remove drive shaft

8. plug end of tranny, or drain gear oil

9. remove starter

10. unhook speedo cable

11. disconnect torque converter. (There is an access plug on the passenger side of the engine to access the bolts)

12. place jack under tranny and just take the weight off

13. take off tranny crossmember nuts

14. remove tranny mounts from tranny and crossmember

15. remove tranny and tranny crossmember

Now reverse the process. Some torque converters have a trick to them to seat them correctly. I know a 4EAT if installed improperly will kill the trans. Someone better with the 3AT will probably chime in on that. First one usually takes a day to do, so leave yourself plenty of time.

You can remove and install the trans from under the hood if you remove the radiator and engine. Do this if you want to do a reseal on the engine.

BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to remove the engine and trans as a unit, unless you have an 8 ft tall engine stand, jack the car up a good 4 feet, and pull that rig out at somewhere between a 45 and 90 degree angle.

I find it easiest to jack the car up on one side to remove the trans.

You will want the torque converter to stay with the trans, if possible.

You will have to contend with the exhaust pipes if dropping form underneath.