Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Storage of a Wagon

Something came up and I have to store my wagon for 18months --- 2years. I am going to through my car into storage. Besides cleaning the inside what are some good things to remember while storing my baby.

Do I drain the aint-freeze? disconnect the battery? Some help here. I will be stored in Montana so thats a little different weather than Seattle..

Thank you

John Arne

P.s. NoahDL88 Call me..

If you can get someone to come start it up once in a while that would probably be best......allows all the seals to be lubricated with oil.....otherwise they might dry out. Putting it up on jack stands would be probably be good for the tires. I am sure other people will give more advice.

Just starting it occasionally is not necessairily a good idea. An engine that is idled will will experience extreme wear due to the leingth of time to build operating temps, along with the rich air/fuel mixture during warm up. As the engine is idled, carbon deposits form on the valves and piston crowns at a very high rate. If the car can't be driven for 15-20 miles fairly regularly, this is not the answer.

So.... Run the fuel tank, Carb or EFI system out of gas. Using duct tape, seal up the tailpipe(s) and carburator throat to prevent moisture entry. Change the oil before storage to remove any moisture that may be hiding in the crankcase. Grease the front end and all zerks to displace moisture. Place the car on jackstands, but with just enough weight on the tires to keep the springs compressed to a normal ride height, do not let the wheels hang free. If the car will be outside, park it on a thick plastic tarp so that moisture doesn't attack the undercarrage. Put black plastic trash bags over the tires to prevent ozone deterioration from the sun and, cover the car with a breathable car cover.

ES makes some excellent points. No substitute for taking the car out for a good roadie once in a while.

I don't know that there is anything that can be done to a sitting car to slow down the deterioration process. Maintenance is no help to a vehicle that is static.

I would probably focus most on fuel. If you don't drive enough to burn off a full tank of fuel, whats the point in keeping the tank full? I would buy fuel as needed, and give your car a serious workout as often as possible. Change the fuel filter once a year.

Oil is another thing you should change regrdless of miles. Water condenses inside your moter continuously, and you need to flush it out 4 times a year.

Finally, you want to keep the battery functional, so that means either running the car regularly, OR throwing the battery charger on every couple of months.

I know people that have cars from the 1940's sitting in their garage that can be started up and taken anywhere, anytime. It's easy to pull off, but you have to be dedicated.

good luck, John

sta-bil the gas and FILL the tank

drain the fuel system, carb, lines

disconnect battery, charge as needed

use fogging oil, or sea foam to fog the engine

oil all chrome and metal prone to rusting

inflate tires to proper pressure

place on jackstands and keep suspension in normal supported position

silicone lube spray all weatherstripping

lube chasis, thouroughly clean car and wax paint

make sure doors are not locked

good luck

just have the car impounded, j/k!!

Subiemech85, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Definitely keep the gas tank full, with fuel stabilizer. If it's empty, not only will water condense, but the tank will rust.

Definitely fog the engine or put a bit of light oil down the sparkplug holes and bump it over a couple of times. Rust on the inside of the engine, especially in the combustion chambers, isn't a good thing.

I would also echo the sentiment about if you are going to run it, RUN IT. Just starting the car occasionally will do more harm than good.

Best of luck to you and your soob!

85 and Snowie:

The "fill, no-fill" decision is a tough one. The argument to keep a full tank definitely has some merit. Stabil does seem to be a good product from my experiences.

But bad gas is something to avoid at all costs (IMO), and if you have a full tank in a car that rarely runs, you are asking for trouble. Stabil wont keep the gas "fresh" forever. Maybe a year or two, but eventually the additives will start breaking down. Then, when you run that crappy gas thru your fuel system, every component will be affected. If your car is carbed, you could be looking at a rebuild when you are ready to drive the car regularly again.

I know I'm in the minority here, but my advice is to use fresh fuel, use it sparingly, and change the filter frequently to catch any rust particles that may form inside the tank.

good luck, John

When I have stored for long periods, I siphon the full tank out and replace with fresh gas. DO NOT run 2 year old gas through the car. The problem then is what to do with the old gas!! I have heard of people draining the tank, leaving the cap off and also opening the service panals. That allows cross ventilation to dry out tank. A dry tank won't rust either.

A full tank keeps moiture out of the tank as well.

Todd

that site that mark had mentioned says a bunch...

mouse traps are important.............. I had a mouse

eat a head liner..... I even drempt it had happend...

pretty errie..... but.... the stable gas is good and

I remember someone I knew using and engine fogger...

If anyone can add to this...... It was a product that you

use while runing and stall the vehicle out with it.......

He liked using it.

Micky

if you are worried about the tank then plug off all the fuel lines, evap lines and the filler neck after the tank is completly empty and dried out, you could also through a can of fuel dryer in the tank when it is empty to collect any moisture that may form, seal the tank well.