Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time Subaru owner here from SoCal!

Hello all, I purchased this 2002 Impreza Outback Sport with 170k miles 3 days ago. Automatic, clean title, clean interior, no leaks, seemed well kept in general until I sadly found out that the front diff is going bad. It whines from 30mph and on. Confirmed that it was the front diff yesterday when I drained the fluid and there was a considerable amount of metal shavings on the magnet.

IMAG1819-1_zpsba1b10c5.jpg

Now my questions are the following:

1. Is it even worth getting the diff serviced, or should I just source out another good automatic transmission? The transmission on the car right now shifts fine with no issues at all.
2. If buying a used transmission, which other Subarus model share the same exact automatic transmission as mine (tranny code: TZ1A4ZCCA)? I understand that if you mix and match final drive ratios, the center diff will shortly die after that. 

3. Do auto and manual transmissions share the the same type of front diff? I have a friend who's got a 5 speed transmission in his garage and says that if the front diffs are the same he'll let me buy the front diff out of his spare transmission.

Any answers or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by jdm slick