Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2001 lego strut exploded in car, need help

2001 legacy outback strut

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luko

luko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Wayne, NY AKA Upstate NY

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Back in March I had put a set of outback struts in my 2001 legacy L and I bought them used but they were supposed to be new. Well anywho today on the way home I had one explode and come apart while I was going down the road. I use my car every day to travel around and work on farm equipment and need it to be fixed ASAP so I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the best place is to get a complete strut assembly or quick strut, Advance Auto doesn't carry a complete strut for my car, Thanks, Luke 

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,619 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

What exactly broke?
The only place I know that sells an entire assembly with springs is rockauto, and it would take a few days to get them.
Look for a junkyard in your area and grab one.
If you order new you really should replace both sides since one new strut/spring assembly will cause uneven ride height and unstable handling.

#3 luko

luko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Wayne, NY AKA Upstate NY

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

It was hard telling what exactly broke, but it looked like the chrome center piece at the top broke off 

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,731 posts
  • WV

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

woah crap, that's crazy.

you can't get quick struts for Subaru's.  used is the best option if cost and immediacy is required.

#5 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,645 posts
  • Central Wisconsin

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

if you need it "now" - definitely used

if you go new, both sides for sure, but you wont find a "complete" assembly, sorry.

to use new - get new struts, buy/rent a spring compressor set, remove the springs from the old assembly (or puchase new if needed), install springs on the new strut, install assembly in the car. Not all that difficult and can be done in a few hours with nothing more than hand tools, a good jack, and jack stands. (altho pnuematic tools do speed things up a bit.)

#6 bluedotsnow

bluedotsnow

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • vallejo

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

when your taking it off the car it would be a REALLY GOOD IDEA to remove the tire and compress the spring before doing ANYTHING ELSE. if you really did brake the "jesus"nut or nut that holds the spring tension when you start unbolting the knuckle or top hat bolts spoob will fly apart from the springs tension! be very careful depending on how and whats broken it could hit you if you don't compress the spring first!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users