Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 lego strut exploded in car, need help

Back in March I had put a set of outback struts in my 2001 legacy L and I bought them used but they were supposed to be new. Well anywho today on the way home I had one explode and come apart while I was going down the road. I use my car every day to travel around and work on farm equipment and need it to be fixed ASAP so I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the best place is to get a complete strut assembly or quick strut, Advance Auto doesn't carry a complete strut for my car, Thanks, Luke 

What exactly broke?

The only place I know that sells an entire assembly with springs is rockauto, and it would take a few days to get them.

Look for a junkyard in your area and grab one.

If you order new you really should replace both sides since one new strut/spring assembly will cause uneven ride height and unstable handling.

if you need it "now" - definitely used

if you go new, both sides for sure, but you wont find a "complete" assembly, sorry.

to use new - get new struts, buy/rent a spring compressor set, remove the springs from the old assembly (or puchase new if needed), install springs on the new strut, install assembly in the car. Not all that difficult and can be done in a few hours with nothing more than hand tools, a good jack, and jack stands. (altho pnuematic tools do speed things up a bit.)

when your taking it off the car it would be a REALLY GOOD IDEA to remove the tire and compress the spring before doing ANYTHING ELSE. if you really did brake the "jesus"nut or nut that holds the spring tension when you start unbolting the knuckle or top hat bolts spoob will fly apart from the springs tension! be very careful depending on how and whats broken it could hit you if you don't compress the spring first!