Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Random question:

On my way back from the shop (see previous posts: misfire 1 & 3), I was driving behind my wife who was in our 98 Outback.

This turns out to be the first time I was ever behind the car while the brakes first come on. The brake light blinks a few times (6-7) and then stays on solid. Just wondering if this is the standard behavior for these vehicles... I think I would have noticed if I saw one on the road doing this... but I never know. Maybe an aftermarket "safety accessory"?

Just a quick poll :-)

Thanks all,

-A

Not standard behaviour from anything I have heard.

However, I just added exactly this feature to my 97 OB.

It's a little electronic device that causes the lights to blink a few times. It even has some smarts to it. It takes about 30 seconds to fully reset. If you reapply the brakes within less time than that, it blinks less. The idea is to not drive the person nuts behind you if in stop and go traffic.

Apparently these systems are popular with (for come from?) the motorcycle industry.

I wired mine in to just act on the center high mount brake light only.

One has to have "some" toys :D

Commuter

COMMUTER:

Can you post information about the device you installed ? Where did you purchase it ? Can you provide a link? Thanks !

~Howard

:banana:

Not standard behaviour from anything I have heard.

However, I just added exactly this feature to my 97 OB.

It's a little electronic device that causes the lights to blink a few times. It even has some smarts to it. It takes about 30 seconds to fully reset. If you reapply the brakes within less time than that, it blinks less. The idea is to not drive the person nuts behind you if in stop and go traffic.

Apparently these systems are popular with (for come from?) the motorcycle industry.

I wired mine in to just act on the center high mount brake light only.

One has to have "some" toys :D

Commuter

Good to know.

I've seen these things on motorcycles... but then again I know a lot of tweakheads that wire all sorts of crazy stuff onto their bikes.

One of the other students here had his headlight flicker with the timing so it looked "old-timey."

Mine resets quickly so it has the added feature of annoying other drivers. I'll poke through things more closely... I haven't cross-checked the relay part numbers or anything, my guess is it will become obvious once I look closer.

-Andy